Rectifer tube Again

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockin_Ron

Reaction score
Amp has been running fine. Probably a little over a year since I replaced the rectifier and power tubes. Decided to swap power tube locations since I mostly play on 5 watt mode. Sort of to even the usage on the tubes. Powered up and everything was fine. After finishing playing I just happened to be looking at the back of the amp as I was about to turn to standby. After flipping standby the rectifier started arcing at the bottom of the tube. I quickly turned off the amp. When I tried to turn it back on again it then started arcing at the top of the tube, so I turned it off quickly. Tried to turn it on again and everything was dead, and it took out the fuse again. Replaced fuse and it works in 30 Watt only.

So here's is my question ..... is this just coincidence, the tube's time, or was it because I swapped the power tubes?

Asked this question on another forum, but never got a direct answer .... Is anyone here using these supposedly invincible Bendix 6106 5Y3GT equivalent tubes in their Lonestar Special? Is it safe? I don't want to use 5V4 tubes.

Thanks

Hi
I was having problems with the power tubes and today I blow out the fuse.I've replaced the power tubes for a matched quad JJ electronic.When I turned on no sound on the 5 and 15 watts mode. I think I blow the rectifier tube when I turn the amp on. I also would like to know the answer to your question, as it seems to have something in common be similar to my case...:s
rgds

There's a correlation somewhere between power tube and rectifier tube that's why you'll see most recommend to change the rect tube when changing pwr tube and this is when the tubes are at the end-of-life. But in this case this is a known and well documented problem with the LSS. Supposedly Mesa has fixed this issue on new amps, for older ones do contact them. I think that a few members here did have their amps serviced to the new spec. I use a NOS tube and so far (3 years now) have had no problem yet.

Call Mesa. Find out if your amp qualifies for the rectifier tube mod. There is a fix for older LSS so they won't blow 5Y3s. Alternatively, buy a NOS 5Y3. The older tubes are built better. Don't bother switching tubes around, as they are both being used in 5 watt mode anyway. :D

Latest posts

Back