Rect-o-verb vs Stiletto Ace ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_1234

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get a new amp and I can't decide wich one I'll get. I heard a lots of good things on both. I play punk-rock music like NOFX...The Offspring...Millencolin...Blink 182 and I'm looking to get these sounds.

Hope someone can help me out

Dave

Take your time . The two amps you are considering are completely different from one another . Their voicings couldnt be farther apart .

Like Barry said try both. Read the manuals pn line so you have an idea of how to dial them prior to trying them.

I say get both :D

I think you might find the SR more to your liking based on the music you mentioned.

Good luck.

The rectoverb is EXACTLY what you want. I just happen to be selling one too (wink wink, nudge nudge).
But seriously folks, you're comparing apples and oranges with these two amps so check 'em out for yourself.
Bill

If you're thrashin and whackin strings and swingin your head all over the place ..... the recto all the way!

Should I also be considering a MARK IV for punk-rock ? And comming out of what you say, since they are totally different...what's the big difference in their sounds. What should I expect if I go for the ROV ? or the Stiletto ?

Thanks a lot

Dave

The ROV sounds like...well, a Recto. The Stiletto sounds like a juiced up JCM800ish thing.

The Offspring used a Mark IV, lots of punk bands have used them, but it's kinda overkill IMO. A Mark III or a II might be just as good.

I have both a Rectoverb version 2 head and the Stiletto Ace Head. Tonal nirvana is if I run both together. The cleans are different and the gain channels are also different.
They are both very good, very reliable amps, either one you pick you can't go wrong!
If you play with a good base & Drummer and they carry the low end very well, then get the Ace. If you are expected to put out more low end then go with the Recto.

Like I wrote, you can't miss with either.

Blink 182 uses a two channel triple combined with a JCM900, he uses a combination of a oversized 4x12 and a 2x12.

NOFX uses both Marshall and a recto, but i dont think together.

Offspring used Mark IV's for most of there careers, then started using recto's later on, not sure if they combined or not.

Honestly, give us some more bands as the three I know all used different amps.

dave_1234 said:
Hi, I'm looking to get a new amp and I can't decide wich one I'll get. I heard a lots of good things on both. I play punk-rock music like NOFX...The Offspring...Millencolin...Blink 182 and I'm looking to get these sounds.

Hope someone can help me out

Dave

siggy14 said:
Blink 182 uses a two channel triple combined with a JCM900, he uses a combination of a oversized 4x12 and a 2x12.

Offspring used Mark IV's for most of there careers, then started using recto's later on, not sure if they combined or not.

Honestly, give us some more bands as the three I know all used different amps.]

Here some more band...
-Millencolin
-Pennywise
-Sum 41
-Rancid
-Anti-Flag

I know that through the bands I mentionned some have totally differents sounds, but you know waht punk-rock is...even if some some of these band turned out to be very commercial at the end. I'm looking to get these sounds of good old punk-rock of the '90

thanks

count_chocolat said:
I have both a Rectoverb version 2 head and the Stiletto Ace Head. Tonal nirvana is if I run both together. The cleans are different and the gain channels are also different.
They are both very good, very reliable amps, either one you pick you can't go wrong!
If you play with a good base & Drummer and they carry the low end very well, then get the Ace. If you are expected to put out more low end then go with the Recto.

Like I wrote, you can't miss with either.

Since you have both amps and you know them more than me and heard them more than once, I hope you could give me a little description of the differents sounds so it will help me to focus on one amp based on my punk-rock needs.

By the way I don't really play metal...

Thanks
Dave

Sum 41, at first Dave used a rec, but then they both switched to marshall so older sum 41 is a rec and marshall, newer stuff pure marshall.

Penny wise was a mark IV, but last time I saw them he was using crates.

Rancid, one guy uses a marshall, the other guy uses either a tremoverb or roadking or dual rec.

Not sure about the other groups.

dave_1234 said:
siggy14 said:

Honestly, give us some more bands as the three I know all used different amps.]

Here some more band...
-Millencolin
-Pennywise
-Sum 41
-Rancid
-Anti-Flag

I know that through the bands I mentionned some have totally differents sounds, but you know waht punk-rock is...even if some some of these band turned out to be very commercial at the end. I'm looking to get these sounds of good old punk-rock of the '90

thanks

Dave1234,

In general, the recto has more natural bottom end and the Ace is brighter. The rest depends on the settings you choose, there is so many combinations it's impossible for me to describe. You'd really have to A/B them in a store.

Back