Rect-O-Verb Combo w/ EL34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargapix

Reaction score
I'm thinking of swapping the stock 6L6's for EL34's. I've heard their are many colors and red & yellow are the high gain ones.

I would like a Master of Puppets type sound and a Black Label Society(I know Marshall) chunkiness as well.

I have a Epi ZW with EMG 85 & 81 and a ESP 602 with EMG 60 & 81.

I also have a PODxt Live, but don't want to use the distortions if not necessary.

Any info would be appreciated.

JA

I don't have the Rect-o-Verb, but I love running my Road King on the EL-34 setting at 35 to 50 watts. (Gives a very similar sound to the Rect-o-Verb)

If you don't want to use stock Mesa Tubes, a reputable tube reseller will get you straight. (Doug's tubes, Eurotubes, etc.) Let them know what color code your tubes are and they can send you a matched pair that will be at the right bias for your amp. For a nominal fee, you could pay to have a bias pot installed on the amp, too. I know I'm speaking pure blasphemy here...but it is pretty nice to have a choice of tubes other than stock Mesa. (I love the Ruby EL 34's)

If you want to get the tone of Master of Puppets or Black Label Society, you'll just have to experiment with the EQ's.

Thanks Erik,

I've been reading up on the Road King and am very impressed. I think the combo runs for $2000+, and was thinking of bringing my Recto back and exchanging up.

I've had the recto for less than a week, but it cost $1400. Is the King worth the xtra $1000. What about the upkeep and tube changing? Weight? Size?

Thanks man.

John

Jargaguy,

I'm not so sure it's worth the extra $1000. The basic voicing of the Road King is still Recto at the core, you can just dial it out more if you so choose. Flexibility is what the RK is all about, but for anyone who likes the basic tone the Recto gives, the extra cash outlay could be a waste.

The RK has 13 total tubes in it...retubing isn't cheap. I had the combo version and returned it for the head version...the combo was crazy heavy. The head is still pretty beefy weight wise, but more managable and it is about the same size as most Dual Rec heads.

If I had to make one complaint about the RK, it would be all the switches. There are so many little switches on the back, it makes transporting the amp a challenge. What I mean is that everytime I move the amp, I have to be really careful to not accidently hit any of the switches.

Other than that, it is a blast to play.

I agree. As John Petrucci said, "Playing the Road King is like riding a Harley. It is a thoroughly enjoyable experience."

Here was my reasoning when I bought the RK:
1. I've always liked the dual/triple rectifier crunch, but I absolutely despised their clean channel since it's so sterile and lifeless.
2. I love both the clean and driven channels on the Stiletto, but I'd also need a higher gain channel to make that amp worth buying (just because of my personal playing style).
3. The RK gives me the 3D warm and sparkling cleans of the Lone Star and the Stiletto, but it also gives me that good 'ol balls-to-the-wall Recto Crunch. Don't forget about the millions of tones in between!

It was totally worth the extra money for me. I highly recomend the RK if you'll be able to take advantage of its additional features.

+1 to everything mloiaco said. 8)

Jargaguy, have you ever reversed the EMG combo you have? (85 bridge, 81 neck) I tried that in my Jackson and loved it, although that might sound bad in a LP style guitar.

Jargaguy, I've heard good things about the Rectoverb. If it's a good clean sound your after along with that great Recto crunch, I think you've got it! If you need more versatility then for sure, look at the Roadking. About the tubes, I think the colors are more about matching the pairs rather than the amount of gain. Although that is why they're matched, to correspond with differing biases, I believe? For instance, I've heard JJ's will make a stock Mesa sound harsh, because Mesa biases their amps on the cold side. I personally have'nt experimented enough with other tube manufacturers to tell you the differences, other than I tend to stay with the Mesa branded tubes, that way I don't worry about reliability issues within the amp. I do prefer the EL34's though, if that helps you out! :idea:

Cool,

I checked out the RK today and yeah, way to many switches for me...This is my first all tube amp and it's simplicity is OK for me now.

I bought Yellow EL34's($44 w/ tax), I heard they were 2nd to Red in the "Crunch" dept.

I'm warming up my amp now getting redy for a quick jam session before going to work.

Has anyone seen eurotubes.com, I think they're JJ's, they have a Rect. mod kit and for $75 you get 2 34's a 5 ecc83's. Their supposed to beef up your sound a bit.

I, like JBird think I might stay with MESA in order not to possibly mess something up.

Erik, what exactly is a bias pot? Why would I want to install one? Cost?

OK I'm off to rip some riffs!!

OUT!!

JA

jargaguy said:
Erik, what exactly is a bias pot? Why would I want to install one? Cost?

JA

You don't need them in Mesa's as long as you use Mesa tubes. Some people have them installed aftermarket if they want to use other brand tubes. The cost varies, but most importantly...you could void your amp's warranty by doing the mod. (In fact, I think it does void it.)

I would recommend experimenting with preamp tubes first, no need to bias anything and they're generally cheaper than power tubes. (Plus they have a pretty large impact on your distortion.) I tried the JJ preamp tubes from Eurotubes and found they were too dark for my taste in the V1 slot. (First preamp tube, has the most impact on your gain.) I like using some cheapo Sovtek 12ax7b...most people hate that tube, it makes my amp sound great...go figure. (The EH12ax7's are nice, too.)

By the way, I love the Rect-O-Verb, it has a great bark to it. I wouldn't recommend trying different tubes until you really get the hang of the tones the amp delivers...you'll save a ton of money and won't waste too much time chasing your tail. :lol:

Yeah, I agree. I did swap out the 6L6's for the 34's and it does make a difference...I recorded myself to make sure. I think I like the 34's better, but feel good in the sense that I can go back to the 6's at anytime.

I also switched the EMG's, too bassy with the 85 in the neck! I put the 81-neck and 85 bridge. I dig it!! I haven't really cranked it up, because it was late, but I can def. tell the difference. Thanks Erik....sorry ZAKK.

I also gave up trying to feed my PODxtLive into the effects loop and run it straight through the front, with all the amp mods off. The tube screamer gives me a big boost and with the phaser, delays, ping and other effects, I feel I'm unlocking the sounds my amp can produce!

I'm having a great time!!

Thanks for your insight guys!

JA

jargaguy said:
I also switched the EMG's, too bassy with the 85 in the neck! I put the 81-neck and 85 bridge. I dig it!! I haven't really cranked it up, because it was late, but I can def. tell the difference. Thanks Erik....sorry ZAKK.

I'm having a great time!!

Thanks for your insight guys!

JA

I found the same thing...if you ever get a chance, try popping a 60 in the neck as it is lower in output and a tad warmer. (Although, it might sound muddy in a LP style guitar.)

Erik

I got the 60's in the neck of my ESP KH-602, it sounds great! I don't really want both guitars to have the same pickups, but I'm def gonna try the 60 in the neck of my LP.

JA

no one has to use mesa tubes in any mesa amp
you can put in what ever you want as long as its the same type of tube

Back