Rect-O-Verb 6L6/ EL34 switch!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottapaul

Reaction score
ok,

I have questions about my new amp. I was going to call Boogie, but whole Mesa plant is on vacation until January Second!! (Murphies Law).

I had purchased a set of tube converters from a company called THD that allowed me to take my Fender amp that normally had 6L6's in it, and use EL34's without any biasing. The catch was, that this also dropped the wattage of the amp to half of what it was.

With the Rect-O-Verb, if I change the tubes over to El34's does this amp remian a 50 watt amp???

yes, I have EL-34s in my rect-o-verb and it is %1337 better with it that the rect-o-verb with 6l6s, It still remains 50w

I thought the only converter THD made was the Yellowjackets, which allow you to use EL84 tubes in place of 6L6, EL34, and 6V6, etc. If that is the case, you will still have to use the converter to use those tubes in your Rectoverb. However, you can use EL34 tubes directly, just make sure you set the bias switch on the amp to the EL34 setting. If you are using the Yellowjackets that you were using in the Fender, you probably have to set your bias switch to 6L6 on the Rectoverb.

Now I feel stupid......your right, the yellow jackets are EL84's...
But the switching from 6L6 to "EL34's" this doesn't drop the power at all right?

No, switching from 6L6's to EL34's will not make much of a difference in power, but the EL34's will have less headroom and break up sooner. They will change the tone a little by adding more upper midrange.

Back