Recording with the Roadster Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiefufkin10

Reaction score
Recently picked up a Roadster and had a few questions on the best way of recording with that thing. This is my first, all tube amp so I'm getting used to the characteristics of tube amps (HEAVY, fans, standby switches, etc).

-The cooling fan is loud, how can I eliminate this sound from my recordings?
-Only thing I can think of is getting an extension cab and isolating the cab so its in a quiet area. Is this what's typically done?

Thanks.

I ran into the same situation. Seems Mesa provides a fan switch on the Lone Star (and maybe others) but not the Roadster combo (I guess turning it off might cause damage).

So yeah, unless someone says otherwise, it seems we have to use an external cabinet.

I've realized I'm not a big fan of the V30 1x12 combo cabinet so I'll be trading for a head at some point.

Considering the fan is so loud it should probably be mentioned more obviously on the site. I'm going to ask Mesa about this among a couple other questions.

I just spoke with a Mesa Boogie rep and they didn't really have an answer as to why the fan is not mentioned on the site. I consider this a pretty serious issue as it interferes with the tone.

Waiting for an official statement from Mesa Boogie regarding this problem.

Artiefufkin10 said:
-Only thing I can think of is getting an extension cab and isolating the cab so its in a quiet area. Is this what's typically done?

Thanks.

for good recording that would be the way to get the best sound whether the fan was that loud or not.... if you dont feel like doing that you shouldnt notice the noise of the fan at all if your using a good mic and setting it up the right way.... my Mark iv had a fan that was decently loud and never heard a thing when i recorded with it... and i didnt have the cab isolated... the head was about 7 inches from the mic and you never heard anything but the speaker

Somewhat of a let down because you've got this massive arrays of tones at your fingertips, yet you're bogged down by the noisy fans.

To the latter poster, I suppose that turning the amp up to a decent volume would drown out the fan, at least during constant playing. From there you could use some DSP to filter out the 60Hz hum to some extent. However, not sure if you've played the roadster, but the fan is LOUD!

Thanks for the input, let me know if you have any additional follow up from MESA.

Artiefufkin10 said:
Somewhat of a let down because you've got this massive arrays of tones at your fingertips, yet you're bogged down by the noisy fans.

To the latter poster, I suppose that turning the amp up to a decent volume would drown out the fan, at least during constant playing. From there you could use some DSP to filter out the 60Hz hum to some extent. However, not sure if you've played the roadster, but the fan is LOUD!

Thanks for the input, let me know if you have any additional follow up from MESA.

when i went to mesa hollywood i test drove the roadster head and combo.... i ended up with the head because wasn't a big fan of how the combos cab sounded... the 2x12 was better because it was closed but there was just something about the head...... i didn't notice the fan being that loud or atleats not louder than my mark iv was..... to me when your playing live you wont hear it because your turned up.... i never heard it when i recorded with my mark iv.... the only time i actually noticed it was in between songs..... just my experience

After following up with Mesa Boogie today...

They've updated their site to indicate the combos are fan cooled.

Mesa provides excellent customer support and I'm very satisfied. I've got a Lone Star and cabinet on order.

Contact Mesa Boogie if you have any issues with your purchase.

I can't imagine that if you record properly, you'll hear the fans at all. A Shure SM57 for example is highly directional. You point it at the cone and it doesn't record what's going on inside the cabinet.

It might be possible to replace the fan with a low RPM high volume German Papst fan which is done for very quiet PC's.

You can find these at PC shops such as the one below (partly in Swedish, sorry)

http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=2276
or
http://datorfixarna.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_112&products_id=3657

You guys, I reaaalllly think Cudbucket is right. I can't really even hear the fan when playing even while I'm not actually playin anything on Ch1. But like he said: the SM57 is very directional, and literally just points at the source. If anything, maybe skew it like 20 degrees opo direction of the fan in front of or inbetween the cones maybe for some more headroom? I gotta start recording with mine, but i need a pre and mixer. Presonus and Yamaha here I come!

Back