Recording a Recto......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but that's just recording guitar clips, he bought this rig for his band I inferring from previous posts. So he will want some headroom.

I'm not disputing your recording advice, Im a newb to recording. I'm just passing on what I've read in other forums.

Grandor said:
Micah said:
Do you hold this theory with the Standard rectos with reverse mounted speakers? What cabs have you had expirience with miking this way? I know a guy who mics this way but he has a Mark IIb with an evm that is definatly dominant in the high-mid arena. He does this scenario live. Do you recomend this live? Most shows that I go to have there cabs miced straight on usually toward the midle to the outside of the cone. I usually mic mine like this(below) but Im up for improvements!!

.......... U
........ /...\
......./.......\
...../...........\
.......|
.......|
.......|

:)

This is how I mike my 1960vintage cab (vintage 30's). I don't have a recto cab.
For Live stuff I'm always changing my micing setup, depending on how I'm dialed up at that point in time and how many channels their willing to give me on the desk to play with.

Cool man! I'll give that micing a try tonight!

Anyone else have some input?

I've been experimenting, and it's getting better, but I'm going to try and exchange my SM57 at GC for another one....I think there might be something wrong with it.

seems like the multiple mic setup is the way to go if you ask me.....

when we recorded our demo, we RENTED a bunch of EXPENSIVE AS HELL mics from a little warehouse place. they charged us next to nothing. big fat deposit, but we were getting 1 and 200 dollar mics for about 3 bucks for the weekend each. this is in gainesville (uf) tho, a little small town. but im willing to bet your town has this also. IMO, it's the best way to go.

do this however, when all you've got to do is press record. if not you're paying for idle time.

on the same note, you can rent gear the same way. I'd go and rent a nice jcm800 and mix that sucker in. OR, rent a marshall cab, put the recto into both cabs at once, record both. God i love guitar tone =)

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Anyone else have some input?

I've been experimenting, and it's getting better, but I'm going to try and exchange my SM57 at GC for another one....I think there might be something wrong with it.

I have seen two SM-57s fail due to breaks in the transformer winding. Unusual, but it can happen! You won't wear one out using it only on guitar cabs, but regular use for vocals can do some damage to the diaphragm over the long-term. Still, "bulletproof" is fair; maybe not "musicianproof!"

In our studio, we've tried a dozen cab micing techniques, all of which work for certain circumstances. We treat cabinet micing like any other tone shaping tool. The SM57 is our "go-to" guitar mic, but we've used MD421s and various other dynamic mics. I also have a couple of old H&K Red Boxes that come in handy when isolation is necessary.

Now, my question--has anyone used a cabinet emulator such as a Red Box to feed a Mesa slave output into a PA for live use?

Elpelotero said:
seems like the multiple mic setup is the way to go if you ask me.....

when we recorded our demo, we RENTED a bunch of EXPENSIVE AS HELL mics from a little warehouse place. they charged us next to nothing. big fat deposit, but we were getting 1 and 200 dollar mics for about 3 bucks for the weekend each. this is in gainesville (uf) tho, a little small town. but im willing to bet your town has this also. IMO, it's the best way to go.

do this however, when all you've got to do is press record. if not you're paying for idle time.

on the same note, you can rent gear the same way. I'd go and rent a nice jcm800 and mix that sucker in. OR, rent a marshall cab, put the recto into both cabs at once, record both. God i love guitar tone =)

200 dollar mics are CHEAP mics, i was in a session once where someone put a vintage U87 about a foot away from a kick drum, then he used it about 1.5 feet away from a mesa boogie stack!

he was a pro tho so i guess they can afford to do this cuz it sounds good

Latest posts

Back