recommend me a mesa boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LP1981

Reaction score
Hey people,

I'm looking for a suitable amp for me and i'm curious what you guys can advise me.

I have a Gibson LP Custom and i play stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Joe Bonamassa, Metallica, Ozzy, Slash/G'nR stuff. I have the express in my mind because it' switchable to 5 watt but are there better alternatives maybe? So basically i need a head or combo which is capable of doing bluesrock and old school metal and sounds good at low volume.
My budget is about 1500 dollars.
What amp would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

All those bands you've listed are sort of in the same area, but I think possibly a Mark series amp, most likely a IV, would give you the range of sounds you can use for all of those styles (and more).

You could set up RHY2 for a bluesy tone (maybe with a boost pedal for Bonamassa?) and have the lead channel for Metallica and the rest. Check out YouTube.

:mrgreen: I'm gonna piss everyone off here, but if you've never had a Mesa and are the kind guy that doesn't read the manual or have enough time to spend with your amp, don't get a Mark IV. :mrgreen:

The Mark IV will get you any of those tones, but so will a DC-10, and the only thing really missing from the DC-10 that the Mark IV is R2.
Yes, I know the IV has Tweed/Full power, Simul-Class, etc. But, if you're like me and would rather play your guitar than play with your amp, get the DC.
It cost about 1/2 of the Mark and I don't miss my IV's at all!

Monsta-Tone said:
:mrgreen: I'm gonna piss everyone off here, but if you've never had a Mesa and are the kind guy that doesn't read the manual or have enough time to spend with your amp, don't get a Mark IV. :mrgreen:

The Mark IV will get you any of those tones, but so will a DC-10, and the only thing really missing from the DC-10 that the Mark IV is R2.
Yes, I know the IV has Tweed/Full power, Simul-Class, etc. But, if you're like me and would rather play your guitar than play with your amp, get the DC.
It cost about 1/2 of the Mark and I don't miss my IV's at all!
Very sound advice. Also, you'll have no trouble re-selling either one in case it doesn't satisfy you.

The Electradyne is a kick-*** amp, and should be much easier to find a demo than a Mark IV or a DC. While there have been no wide-spread operational issues, the ED is not yet as time-tested as the MkIV or DC.

The Electradyne is a kick-*** amp, and should be much easier to find a demo than a Mark IV or a DC. While there have been no wide-spread operational issues, the ED is not yet as time-tested as the MkIV or DC.

I was bummed that Grandma's Music didn't have one. That was the whole reason I went. I won't be buying one anytime soon, but I definitely wanted to try it.

They did have a Mark V, and it looks really impressive. But...I know I would never use half of what is on there and in the end would sell it.

I bought one of the 1st Roadsters and it had some issues. I ended up selling it because I simply had too many amps and it was the newest one. I never used it to even half of it's potential, so I let it go. The issues had little to do with my decision, but in hind-sight, I wouldn't buy any new amp or car for that matter without letting them work the bugs or potential bugs out.
We just got rid of a 2008 F-250. It was a great truck, but it was the 1st year for the new engine and new design. It had 6 major factory recalls before it was 2 years old. Serious ones like gas tank explosions, etc.

A good tool to use is Youtube, if you have decent speakers on your computer. You can find demos for just about any amp out there.

And....lastly, the Maverick is an underdog, but very sweet. It will do just about anything but full blown metal. I was playing mine last night and almost turned my DC-10 on when I wanted to get heavy. But, I have a Bad Monkey pedal that just sits there because it's not that spectacular. I plugged it into the Maverick with the gain at noon and volume at 9 and it boosted the distortion right into thick sustaining metal tones!

I'm all for the underdog amps. The money I saved in purchasing my DC-10 instead of another Mark IV allowed me to buy another amp and some FX!

Deep Respect for Monsta!!!!

But with the $$$ that you have, the MKIV can and WILL give you so many tones you will flip.

Monsta is right about the options on the IV, if you want plug and play, look elsewhere.

But, that is the wonder of the IV. So very much in one package. I have had mine now for about two years and still I find new tones.

As far a low volume playing, someone has sais that the MKIV is the greatest practice amp ever. Why you ask¿¿¿¿

Using class A and tweed, running el34´s you can get to about 15 watt´s so I have been told. Now, don´t think that thats quiet :roll: heck no, my combo can get so loud :evil: :twisted:

But that is where the EQ comes in. drop everything to 0´s on the EQ turn the volumes up and then start
moving the sliders up. Not the greatest cleans but... R2 and the Lead channel can go nuclear :lol: :p :D

On the bay if you are patient, you can get nice MKIV´s, combo´s or head´s for around $1,200 plus shipping. A steal for the 27 amps you get with the MKIV :D :D :D :D :shock:

I haven´t tried the 6v6´s in the power section yet... :) :p :D :lol: 8) :idea: :idea:

Mick

A DC is a great recommendation, except if you want volume at bedroom levels. You can get the volume mod, or perhaps look into the F-Series.

If your budget is 1500, sure you can get a Mark IV or an ED, but what about a speaker cabinet?

My music room is right above my living room. My kids are watching cartoons at a normal volume while I play my DC. It does have the volume mod, but honestly, it takes longer to get the chassis bolts out than it does to cut the resistor.

My Maverick is harder to get good "Bedroom Volume" out of than the DC is!

There is a DC-10 combo on ebay for $750 right now. If I didn't have a DC-10 already, I would snag it!

LP1981 said:
So basically i need a head or combo which is capable of doing bluesrock and old school metal and sounds good at low volume.

You just described the Electra Dyne to a tee.

Price might be a problem though. New it will cost you 1650 I think?

I have rarely seen any for sale used so finding one used might be tough.

Monsta-Tone said:
My music room is right above my living room. My kids are watching cartoons at a normal volume while I play my DC. It does have the volume mod, but honestly, it takes longer to get the chassis bolts out than it does to cut the resistor.

My Maverick is harder to get good "Bedroom Volume" out of than the DC is!

There is a DC-10 combo on ebay for $750 right now. If I didn't have a DC-10 already, I would snag it!

Wow, the Maverick is really that loud? I always thought the DC-5 's were 50 watt freaks of nature for being so loud. Funny, considering Ive been thinking of getting a Maverick combo for general practice and jazz band

Well, you can play it softly, but the distortion is pretty grainy. The amp doesn't start to really breathe until you turn it up a bit. Probably because I'm used to the gain on my modded Heartbreaker and my DC-10.

Latest posts

Back