Recommend a floor based EFX Unit that works well with Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzorge

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what unit to purchase that will help keep my tone intact. With effects all off, I want to my tone to sound exactly the same (possible?) when I have the Loop Engaged or not. Right now, I have 5 pedals (George L Cables) and when I switch to the FX loop, some tone ghost throws as blanket over my tone.

I really like the idea of the G-System (They are $899 new now btw), but it is getting a little old, so I wonder if that is a good choice or not.

I am not concerned with a unit that has tons of OD/Distortion/Amp Modeling. Mesa brings that for me.

Just wanting quality effects, loop to bring in my Mark V and for amp channel switching.

Any suggestions are most appreciated. Been a Pedal boy my whole life, so I am a little unsure of myself entering this new realm.

Thanks for reading/help

Fractal FX-8 is probably the best effects only floor model made today. I don't have one but all who do say it is very transparent with no tone suck or change. Its expensive and hard to get right now.

Gizzorge said:
I am trying to figure out what unit to purchase that will help keep my tone intact. With effects all off, I want to my tone to sound exactly the same (possible?) when I have the Loop Engaged or not. Right now, I have 5 pedals (George L Cables) and when I switch to the FX loop, some tone ghost throws as blanket over my tone.

I really like the idea of the G-System (They are $899 new now btw), but it is getting a little old, so I wonder if that is a good choice or not.

I am not concerned with a unit that has tons of OD/Distortion/Amp Modeling. Mesa brings that for me.

Just wanting quality effects, loop to bring in my Mark V and for amp channel switching.

Any suggestions are most appreciated. Been a Pedal boy my whole life, so I am a little unsure of myself entering this new realm.

Thanks for reading/help

Hi. If you think the G System is getting' old, you will probably think my multi-effects board is ancient as I'm running a Digitech GNX4 into the front of the amp. It works well and I'm able to use the drum and recording features. :lol:

Can be had for a great deal less than other newer systems.

Loving the G system I got in October. It does all the effects I want and about 3 I don't want.
Using it with an amp gizmo, so the board controls all. And yeah it's difficult to set up and isn't quite transparent.
But the best thing I've discovered about it is that I find the EQ far more intuitive than the Mesa EQ on my amp. I can program the thing, store different settings for each channel. Still have the option to switch between it and the amps EQ/preset knob. If I set a sound for clean and the EQ with a mid bump, I can still have a scoop on high gain. Then the option of the amps EQ on top of that.
And when I bung the amp in the back of the car to go to the gig, the sliders get knocked about the place. It's not a problem because they're programmed into the Gsys.
I think that AD-DA conversion is always going to have some effect on sound. How bad it is, is obviously down to the design of the unit. You'll never completely escape it, unless you give up using digital units.
However the good thing is that you often have the option to work round them within the unit. I know I'm probably a lot newer to it than yourself. I've used 800's with a boost for decades. Until April when I turned to the darkside and got my MkV.

I can't recommend the Fractal Audio FX-8 enough. Incredible versatility, channel switching, stellar sounding effects, very transparent with my Roadster using the 4CM. I've read other guys having the same success with the Mark V. Thought about the G-System but lack of support and quality of effects compared to the FX-8 was the deciding factor there. I wouldn't personally touch the Line 6 M13 or M9. I had the M9 and only found 1 delay and reverb that was halfway useful to me, a great disappointment. Got rid of it along with some other gear to get the FX-8 and I couldn't be happier. It is spendy compared to others but well worth it.

fr0sty said:
I have the m13 hooked up using the 4cm.

I would love to try one of these.

The only thing I struggle with the bigger multi effects vs multiple stomp boxes is the tone loss when the effect is not engaged.

Even with My Axe FX II going 4cm method there is a tone loss that just bugs me. Granted I have a gen 1 axe FX II which does not have all the bells and whistles geared towards the 4cm that things like the FX8 have.

Decided to give the G System a shot. Was on clearance for $825, so at that price, and 30 return, I jumped in. Wish me luck!

Mate, this is essential.

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/6412/laird-williams-white-paper/

Work your way through it. Order is essential to get your levels balanced. Computer hookup is pretty handy too until you get used to working round the thing. It took me hours to work out that you had to turn the step on buttons to scroll though the menus. The manual is useless. You may as well us the manual that came with your TV or something.

Great system mate. My Mesa footswitch is in the cupboard. I just use the G system to control everything. And use my wireless. So I only have one cable going out front. It's pretty much bliss.

I really am looking forward to using it, not setting it up though.

So I have a Mark V and a triple Rec. I use one amp at a time. I just want to be able to control the three channels, and maybe add solo with the gsystem relays.

I just purchased an 8 channel TPS snake (via the Whitepaper's suggestion)

Will I be able to do what I want without buying a midi gizmo?

I honestly don't know. I just went straight to the Gizmo. One was for sale cheap in the UK. And they don't come up here often, so I pounced on it.
With what that Laird guy knows of the G System if he says it works, it works. TC Electronics ought employ him to write their manuals.
You're gonna have a blast mate. Bought mine in October, I'm still in heaven with the pitch shifter and flanger effects. Just this minute switched the rig off. Still smiling at the sounds.

Latest posts

Back