Recomend me some Dimarzio Pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reilly

Reaction score
Ok So i pick up a 1990 S Ibanez S540 guitar (FREE from a friend) and want to replace this pickups (its a HSS configuration with a Floyd) Im more of a HH hard tail guy and this is not my main guitar, so this is more or less something different for me. My main guitar is a LTD H400 with Rio Grande Crunchbox and Punchbox Pups (i really love them!)

That being said I can get any New Dimarzio Pickups through a friend for super cheap, so this is what Im looking for: Im into more progresive rock/metal I like clarity, harmonics and sustain and want to make sure whatever i put in this guitar sounds big even with the thin S type mahogany body with a maple neck. Ideally I want a Humbucker type of sound in the single coil size.

Im thinking a Tonezone or Crunch lab for the Bridge and maybe a Air Norton S for the neck (or fast track 1). I dont want an evolution or breed, I had them before in an S series and I don't think its what im looking for.

Thanks for your input.

I would definitely go with the Crunch Lab for the bridge. The other guitarist in my band put one in his Ibanez and plays through a Fender Metal Head. It sounds amazing, exactly like you've described. As far as the single coil goes, not very familiar with single coils.

Let me know how this works out for you. I own an Ibanez Prestige SV5470 and I when I swapped out the pickups I put in a set of Lollar imperials and a dimarzio virtual vintage in the middle. These Humbuckers are hands down my favorite pickups and in my Gibson Pat Martino they sound like heaven but I don't think they are the right match for this guitar. The SV's thin mahogany body doesn't have a lot of natural resonance and paired with a vintage output pickup its a little thin sounding when clean and muffled when overdriven. It definitely needs more bite in the bridge position and more girth in the neck. I've been toying with the idea of selling this guitar because while it feels great and plays like butter the tone is not there(I would much rather play a guitar that is difficult to play and sounds great than one that plays itself and sounds lifeless). I want to give it one more shot before I dump it though and I was considering a pairing of the crunch lab and liquifire to see if that brings it to life. If not its got to go. I'm very interested in hearing from people who own S series guitars and have tried the crunch lab and or liquifire or air norton.

I put a crunch lab / liquifier set in my 1989 540sc (mahogany with maple veneer cap) and it didnt do it for me. The tone of the guitar itself wasn't good enough for the pickups to carry it. I liked the evo's I had in it a bit better, but ultimately went with EMGs since they sound like EMGs no matter which guitar they're in. I am going to see how they are in my PRS CE24 since I do like the sound of the new EBMM JPs. Hope this helps.

Im not a fan of EMG's i def like passive pickups, but good to know about the crunch lab / liquifire set.

Anyways an update, i have had the guitar a few weeks now and have been messing with it on and off. A friend of mine had an old Duncan Screaming demon pickup laying around so i put it it, Def a huge improvement from stock, and sounds good but I think im going to get rid of the guitar it just doesn't seem to have the tone im looking for. Also it has a original wizard neck which i find way too thin for my taste (but it does play well). I had a nice S prestige about 10 years ago and sold it for tone reasons so i think that the S is just not for me. I have been gassing for a better/higher end guitar anyways so at least i know a new S prestige is not what i am really looking for. I may get a Real ESP Horizon or Eclipse since i am very comfortable with them, or maybe an Ernie ball Axis.

Thanks for all the help!

Instead of going for a super high gain pickup, why don't you try one with a little sizzle and use the gain on your amp for your distortion?

The best humbucker I ever had was the DiMarzio Virtual PAF, but it looks as though that was replaced by the 36th Anniversary pickup. Just my opinion, but I think you'll be surprised. With a vintage output humbucker, you will hear everything and your sound will be more defined. In fact George Lynch's signature pickup from S.D. is actually one of their lowest output humbuckers. So, my vote goes for the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary DP223. The ball is in your court.

I actually had the same idea a few days ago about trying a less hot pickup, so your post has got me thinking a little more.

thanks

Perhaps a Super Distortion 3, I use a set in an LP and it's really thick yet cuts through very well. Extremely responsive, esp with volume variations.

Latest posts

Back