Received my metal grill 4x12. Need some help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyoung

Reaction score
I bought this cab over the weekend and need some help identifying the speakers. I know the top ones are MC-90's. The seller told me the bottom 2 were eminence so I was expecting there to be some identifying marks. I don't know if they were original to this cab or if someone put these in. Also, upon closer inspection, the metal grill is way too close to the speakers. Right now there are 3 screws holding the metal grill in place and the rubber spacers are missing. Anyone know were to get some material to use as the spacers between the cab and the metal grill? I don't see anything on Mesa's page where you can buy these pieces. I may just call tomorrow and ask if they have them available for sale.
DSC_0036a.jpg

Here are the speakers I can't identify. There are no visible markings indicating what they are.
DSC_0034a.jpg

Thanks,
Craig

Due the magnet size the bottom speakers look like Eminence MS-12's but the "center hole" in the magnet is too small. Not sure about these....

As for rubber stand-offs for the metal grill you could use rubber feet like those found on combos and heads (Mesa did at one time).
They also used a deeper rubber standoff. Not sure of their origin but they look too 'tall' to be rubber feet.

Post a pic of what's on there now.

Send me a PM I can help with screw size info etc...

On the bottom right speaker it looks like there is white label on the side of the magnet.
Check and see what it says. Post a pic if you can take one of the label.

The style of the Magnet on them makes them look like VS-12's but the Magnet looks too big for a VS-12.
Maybe an optical illusion due to the angle of the photo???
Take some close ups of the bottom speakers - just the full size speaker in the pic.

Thanks gts. Here are some close up pics of the speakers. Based on the info below I was able to determine that the bottom 2 speakers are eminence speakers but I don't know what model they are.

DSC_0001asmall.jpg

DSC_0006asmall.jpg

DSC_0007asmall.jpg

The sticker reads:
(on far left)
(on far right)
67-96020097 G6 8 OHM

I found this video which explains the numbers on the sticker on the side of the magnet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOx4JYHW3-w

Based on the youtube video, they were manufactured in 1996. The question is when did Mesa Boogie stop making the metal grill cabinets? Knowing this can determine if the speakers are original to the cabinet. My guess is they are not.

gts- I also sent you a PM with some high res pics so you can zoom in and look at them. Also, I called Mesa Boogie today and was able to order the rubber spacers, screws, and washers. Thanks for your help on this.

I think I'm going to replace the eminence speakers with 2 EVM 12L classic speakers.

cyoung said:
The sticker reads:
(on far left)
This is the Mesa part number as these were OEM speakers.

I've also seen 761229 as a part number on them.
Pretty sure they are VS-12's aka Mesa "Vintage Black Shadow"
A 50 watt speaker made for Mesa by Eminence.
They would be original to the cab.

The input jack plate on the back may have a sticker/ label saying the cab is 280 watts.

Thanks gts. I was able to confirm with Eminence that these were indeed made for Mesa Boogie. However, they could not tell me the model number. So I have a call into Mesa to inquire about the exact model number based on the Mesa part number.

Again, thanks for your help.

Good idea to follow up with a call to Mesa.
Hopefully you get someone who knows or can find out.
Maybe ask for Tien Lawrence if you don't get a reply that knows.
You could even ask for Mike B. He may know and if he doesn't he'll know who does.

gts said:
cyoung said:
The sticker reads:
(on far left)
This is the Mesa part number as these were OEM speakers.

I've also seen 761229 as a part number on them.
Pretty sure they are VS-12's aka Mesa "Vintage Black Shadow"
A 50 watt speaker made for Mesa by Eminence.
They would be original to the cab.

The input jack plate on the back may have a sticker/ label saying the cab is 280 watts.

I just purchased a metal front 4x12 last night that is in like new condition, and the part number on my speaker is 761229. Also, the cab is in fact rated at 280 watts.

Judging by my serial number, my speaker was made in 1992.

I tried playing through the cab for the first time today and I'm stunned by how immediate the tone is, and how responsive every adjustment on the amp makes the tone respond. It's (for the lack of a better description) transparent. I've used the Rectifier oversized cabs loaded with Black Shadow V30s, and this amp sounds less warm, but the urgency to the sound, and the tone has plenty of crunch, but no woofiness that I experienced with the Oversized cabs.

I would like to find more information on the Eminence speakers. I never liked the other Eminence speakers I tried out in other cabs, but these are great when paired up with the MC-90 Celestions.

So, I never tried this, but on the jack plate of the cab, it says "split for stereo". I e always just plugged the 8 ohm output of the amp into the 8 ohm input of the cab. Is it safe to use speaker cable from the 4 ohm output of the head to the 4 ohm input of the cab, and ANOTHER speaker cable from 4 ohm output of the amp to the 4 ohm input of the cab, and run a single amp and cab in stereo?

cyoung said:
Thanks gts. I was able to confirm with Eminence that these were indeed made for Mesa Boogie. However, they could not tell me the model number. So I have a call into Mesa to inquire about the exact model number based on the Mesa part number.

Again, thanks for your help.

Btw what did you find out from Mesa?

cyoung said:
...Right now there are 3 screws holding the metal grill in place and the rubber spacers are missing. Anyone know were to get some material to use as the spacers between the cab and the metal grill? I don't see anything on Mesa's page where you can buy these pieces...

FYI, Mesa changed designs in the early '90s, adding the rubber spacers. Here's a shot showing the two designs...

amps2013.jpg

The older one (left) - can't see the silver plastic handles - only had rubber anti-vibration strips between the grill and the front of cab. Unless you think they're essential, just remove the rubber spacers and be sure the grill is snug against the cab front.

Back