Received my Blue Stripe Mark III tonight...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOengineer

Reaction score
I took delivery of my Mark III tonight, and wanted to share my experience with the forum
, as many of you were so elemental in helping me become educated, and choose a mark III. It's a loaded simul class combo with EQ, verb, and as I was shocked to discover...the R2 master and reverb mods performed by none other than MB himself.

Having owed other Boogies before, but using a custom Plexi the last few years, I was a bit uncertain as to what I might be getting here, but am pleased to say that the liquid boogie seem to be here in spades.

The clean is great with my Les Paul, with both some nice dark jazzy tones as well as some snappier funk tones. R2 surprised me with a very smooth and throaty blues tone with the gain low, and then a very smooth crunch with higher treble and gain. I am pretty shocked by how usable this channel is. It seems to take a beating, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's more dead with an ibanez basswood style guitar?? I don't know, but it's **** juicy with my Paul, and I can't wait to get the strat happening through it. I expect some cool blues tones.

As for the Lead, I can't really say enough about it. It's smooth but has bite. It's raunchy, but with body. I really dig the liquidy sustain, and the smooth and responsive string feel. I'm stoked to try it through my Marshall 4-12 with V30s, as im sure a whole new spectrum of tones are available.

This amp is the perfect mistress to my plexi. The plexi is super bright and crunchy and at times almost uncontrollable. The Mesa is darker, sweeter, and more refined. Jumping back and forth between them is endlessly satisfying.

Only time will tell how things will progress with this amp, bub I do know that if I had started my Mesa experience with this amp, and not a dual rectifier, I may have never ventured away from Mesa. This is a seriously toneful amplifier.

Hey man, congrats on the arrival of your Mark III. From your history, I knew you would dig it. You explained the tones pretty spot on to what the amp is known to do. Keep us updated on your tonal adventures. I'm as excited as you are to talk about these great amps. :wink:

I went from a Dual Rec to an F-50, then the Mark III and glad I ended up where I did too. As you've said, it's so incredibly expressive and it's definitely a top tier amp, trumped only by a few. Basswood Ibanez's and Suhrs have a uniquely bright tone to them on the III. It's a very "lead" sound, imho. Have fun on the dialing it in adventure, and enjoy!

You know, I shouldn't have said "trumped" because it's all a matter of taste with such great amps around these days in the high gain department. For cleans, the Fenders are standard and there are a world of boutique amps and some amazing amps like Two-Rock and Dr. Z killing it, and in high gain stuff like the Bogner Ubershall and Diezel Herbert are up there (not excluding the other Diezels). The III is hard to beat in a one package amp. The III's brother's the C+ and IV are just the other sides of it, and I personally feel like the IV records a little better (more dry to my ears) but the III excels at live is spades, where the C+ does both. Not saying any fall short, again it's a matter of taste and I shouldn't have said "trumped" because I didn't wanna step on toes without mentioning 100 different amps that are equally awesome. Old argument gets old around here. I'm super happy that EOengineer got his new amp!

That's great to hear, EOengineer! Congrats on a great find. And as mentioned, enjoy the endless journey that is tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and tweaking...(ad nausea). :D I'm interested in hearing your impression of going thru the Marshall cab (assuming a 1960?) w/ V30s. I've got a quad of C90s in a pair of old-school Boogie 2x12 half backs and am considering a move to V30s. Your input would be valuable.

If you get stuck or frustrated finding a particular sound, post up and we'll be happy to share settings. There have been some jaw-dropping revelations that would have been great to know 20 years ago, but people were SO tight-lipped with their settings back then. Many of the MkIII folks here are pretty generous with their findings. Don't be afraid to ask.

Welcome to the fold! 8)

Congrats on the Mark III:
I hope you find as I do that it never gets old, just better.
I'll be happy to share what I know should you need it.

This place is like the boogie family I never knew I had! :p

I have had quite a great time with this amp. Had I ever heard one of these along side my old 2 channel rectifier, I would have dumped the rectifier ASAP. It's just such a **** delight to play and interact with because the circuit is so responsive. It has the fender cleans and the super liquidy leads that my plexi can't get. It fills a lot of gaps that could easily require 2 or 3 different amps if I didn't own this guy.

I'm just now starting to work with the gain staging to try varying amounts of volume 1 and lead drive to get different tones. I'm currently enjoying high input gain with very low (2) lead drive. It gets very master of puppets (not that I play that stuff much these days).

Alright guys.. I'm looking into buying a Mark III to but I heard some and I didn't like.. Im picky I own a original c+ and that is a lovely little amp.. I have a markv that Im only playing now cause I sent the c+ to Mike B. in Petaluma a couple weeks ago lol.. But anyways I heard a red stripe and a blue stripe and those I kinda liked.. How close to the c+ can a Mark III blue stripe get with that c+ mod? Does anybody knows.. I guess I could call mesa sometime but I thought of asking a guitar player or two first :)

GuitarPlayer said:
Alright guys.. I'm looking into buying a Mark III to but I heard some and I didn't like.. Im picky I own a original c+ and that is a lovely little amp.. I have a markv that Im only playing now cause I sent the c+ to Mike B. in Petaluma a couple weeks ago lol.. But anyways I heard a red stripe and a blue stripe and those I kinda liked.. How close to the c+ can a Mark III blue stripe get with that c+ mod? Does anybody knows.. I guess I could call mesa sometime but I thought of asking a guitar player or two first :)
Don't go into a MkIII hoping for a budget C+...ain't gonna happen, regardless of the mods involved. And generalizing subjective tonal differences won't work either. If you have something specific you like about a C+ that you're looking for in a MkIII, post that up, but ultimately, if you like the C+, play the C+ and call it a day. Your first sentence leads me to believe you've already made that decision.

EOengineer said:
I took delivery of my Mark III tonight, The clean is great with my Les Paul, with both some nice dark jazzy tones as well as some snappier funk tones. R2 surprised me with a very smooth and throaty blues tone with the gain low, and then a very smooth crunch with higher treble and gain. I am pretty shocked by how usable this channel is.

As for the Lead, it's smooth but has bite. It's raunchy, but with body. I really dig the liquidy sustain, and the smooth and responsive string feel. I'm stoked to try it through my Marshall 4-12 with V30s, as im sure a whole new spectrum of tones are available.

This amp is the perfect mistress to my plexi. The plexi is super bright and crunchy and at times almost uncontrollable. The Mesa is darker, sweeter, and more refined. Jumping back and forth between them is endlessly satisfying.

Only time will tell how things will progress with this amp, bub I do know that if I had started my Mesa experience with this amp, and not a dual rectifier, I may have never ventured away from Mesa. This is a seriously toneful amplifier.

you sir, is bloody well right! :D and welcome to the III club 8) she still amuses me everytime I play on her and is a wonderfull match for my stiletto also, nice!

and yes, your ending pretty much sumarizes what she is . . .

GuitarPlayer said:

I had a no stripe MarkIII+ I traded for a LPC. I miss that amp VERY badly. I have a MarkIIC now and it is a brighter amp with a little less gain but I absolutely love it. To my ear the MarkIII+ had way more gain and was a little more versatile with the R2 volume mod and seemed a little darker. One day I will come across another MarkIII+ or pick up a MarkIII and have it modded.

Good purchase! It's hard to top these often overlooked amps, but man, if you ever wanted to know what "high gain" is, play a Mark III and you'll know. I always overlooked these Mark IIIs for the more "modern" amps, just to find myself fighting those amps to get the tones I wanted. One fateful day, a Purple Stripe came up for sale locally, and having never tried a Mark III, I decided to go check it out. Rhythm 1 was one of the best, clearest clean tones I ever heard, Rhythm
2 had a smooth, fat blues tone with a little hair to it (this amp had no R2 mod), and when I kicked on the Lead channel, I couldn't stop playing! I even accidentally pulled the R2 knob and discovered even MORE gain! The seller sat back and said. "****, I never knew this amp could sound like that", and he decided to KEEP it!

So, after finding my perfect amp for me, I decided to do some research and found that I preferred the Blue Stripe over the Red. Why? More accessible low mids (seriously, the Blue Stripes could rival any of my Rectos), and the fact that the Blue had more accessible gain than the Red, I decided to go with the Blue over the Reds I tried and never looked back.

Now, as far as comparing the Mark III to the legendary Mark IIC+, the Mark III will have more gain, and isn't as (dare I say) sterile as the Mark IIC+, but where the Mark IIC+ shines is in the responsiveness to the player, and how as you dig in, the amp gives back. So, each amp has it's pros and cons. I wouldn't modify my Mark IIIs to the III+ mod because I love them just as they are. So, think of the IIC+ vs III debate as different flavors. There are subtle differences that make all the difference in the world to different players. Just appreciate the amp for it's individuality. Plus, the Blue Stripe's Power Section is just like the Mark IIC+, and if you want a preamp section that's more similar to the Mark IIC+, all you need is one cap...

fretout said:
Good purchase! It's hard to top these often overlooked amps, but man, if you ever wanted to know what "high gain" is, play a Mark III and you'll know. I always overlooked these Mark IIIs for the more "modern" amps, just to find myself fighting those amps to get the tones I wanted. One fateful day, a Purple Stripe came up for sale locally, and having never tried a Mark III, I decided to go check it out. Rhythm 1 was one of the best, clearest clean tones I ever heard, Rhythm
2 had a smooth, fat blues tone with a little hair to it (this amp had no R2 mod), and when I kicked on the Lead channel, I couldn't stop playing! I even accidentally pulled the R2 knob and discovered even MORE gain! The seller sat back and said. "****, I never knew this amp could sound like that", and he decided to KEEP it!

So, after finding my perfect amp for me, I decided to do some research and found that I preferred the Blue Stripe over the Red. Why? More accessible low mids (seriously, the Blue Stripes could rival any of my Rectos), and the fact that the Blue had more accessible gain than the Red, I decided to go with the Blue over the Reds I tried and never looked back.

Now, as far as comparing the Mark III to the legendary Mark IIC+, the Mark III will have more gain, and isn't as (dare I say) sterile as the Mark IIC+, but where the Mark IIC+ shines is in the responsiveness to the player, and how as you dig in, the amp gives back. So, each amp has it's pros and cons. I wouldn't modify my Mark IIIs to the III+ mod because I love them just as they are. So, think of the IIC+ vs III debate as different flavors. There are subtle differences that make all the difference in the world to different players. Just appreciate the amp for it's individuality. Plus, the Blue Stripe's Power Section is just like the Mark IIC+, and if you want a preamp section that's more similar to the Mark IIC+, all you need is one cap...
I wish we could hang out sometime. I would love to sit with you and compare our amps. I would love to get a mark III that did got me to smile the way the c+ does and seeing you have a variety of those maybe you could lead me the way

fretout said:

I wish we could hang out sometime. I would love to sit with you and compare our amps. I would love to get a mark III that did got me to smile the way the c+ does and seeing you have a variety of those maybe you could lead me the way

GuitarPlayer said:
fretout said:

That would be a lot of fun! If you're ever near the Phoenix area, definitely send me a message! I love showing people these old "gramplifiers" and then turning them up and seeing their face. They're absolutely shocked at the tone I get out of these older, relatively unknown amps. It's been several years and I still haven't found a other amp that gives me that giddy feeling like these amps do.

Latest posts

Back