Rec Pre into a Mark series power section.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocluejimbo

Reaction score
I am looking to add some more versatility to my sound. I already have a Mark IIc head that I have rackmounted, and I'm looking into adding a preamp to have two more channels available.

The IIc preamp and the other preamp would be switched to my IIc power section via a DMC GCX system. That will also select channels on both.

My question is, how does the Rec Pre react to a head's power section? The IIc in question is a 100/60 watter with four STR 454's.

I know it sounds good through a 50/50, and amazing through a 2:100, but replacing my IIc is not an option. This will be run into my closed back 1x12 cabinet. If it helps the sound of the Rec, I will replace the speaker with a V30. Right now it is a Weber EVM copy.

nocluejimbo said:
I am looking to add some more versatility to my sound. I already have a Mark IIc head that I have rackmounted, and I'm looking into adding a preamp to have two more channels available.

The IIc preamp and the other preamp would be switched to my IIc power section via a DMC GCX system. That will also select channels on both.

My question is, how does the Rec Pre react to a head's power section? The IIc in question is a 100/60 watter with four STR 454's.

I know it sounds good through a 50/50, and amazing through a 2:100, but replacing my IIc is not an option. This will be run into my closed back 1x12 cabinet. If it helps the sound of the Rec, I will replace the speaker with a V30. Right now it is a Weber EVM copy.

I do this with several Mesa pieces - it works fine, sounds great, and is very flexible, if a bit complicated.

I have a MK-IV, Triaxis, Recto Pre, and 20/20, all switchable through a DMC GCX. The way I configured mine I can use any one preamp with any or all of the 3 power amps, each driving different cabs. My MKIV is a combo, and I have a Thiele extension cab I built (cloned a friend's Mesa cab) and a speaker isolator for recording. So, I can try the Recto through the MK-IV, or through the 20/20 driving the isolator or a mic'd cab, etc.

If you try this, be prepared to wring out a ground loop or 2, and have patience with the cabling. Once it's working, it's a pretty happening setup.

Cheers

-WireNut

I don't have a Rect preamp, but have used a Triaxis and Egnater IE-4 into the Effects Return of my Mark IIC combo for years. I use a Ground COntrol pedal to control a GXC unit to switch between the two preamps.

This setup works great and gives decent tone. I also like the fact that I have a back-up if either the Mark IIC or preamps dies during a gig (I can run either preamp directly into the PA if the IIC dies, or run the IIC by itself if I have any problems with the rack.

P.S. I like the tone of the rack preamps better through my Mark IIC than through my Mark IV power section. The IV's power section sounds a little flat when compared to the IIC's.

Back