Read Your Owner's Manual

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Barchetta

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of the problems/questions posted on our beloved Boogie Board are solved with reference to the owner's manual. I know us musicians tend to be the type that like to plug and go...but as many experienced Mesa Boogie players know...Boogies take some time to master the intricacies of the interactive controls. Boogie takes a lot of time and effort to develop, print, and include one of the best manuals out their with all of their products.

I have to admit, instruction manuals are not always the best reading. But out of all the ones I've read in my 28+ years of playing, Boogie manuals are the most informative and easiest reading. As anxious as I was to crank up the ol' Road King when I brought it home, I realized that I was staring down one mean, complicated beast. I, Red Barchetta, Mr. Impatience Himself....READ THE MANUAL TWICE!!!!! Then I played...and was greeted by wonderful tones right off the bat.

So...my sage advice to all you new Boogie owners: Even though I, and all the rest of the members here are more than happy to help with your questions, you will make the whole Boogie experience for yourself much more enjoyable if you curl up with your owners manual and read it COVER TO COVER.

I learned a lot doing that, and I know you all can too. If you want our help...it is here for you...happily provided....I'm not saying you shouldn't ask a question you don't know the answer to...but I just think you can start enjoying your amp quicker if you follow the manual instead of waiting for bonehead Red Barchetta or one of the other Boogie-ites to answer your post.

Happy playing....

RB

How true. Lets see I downloaded the Road King manual read in my spare time. I think I have read it almost 8 times now, more than my school reading :D

Agreed. I've read mine at least 3 times, and go back to it, as often as necessary. I have a soft copy of mine in my laptop and printed a hard copy that is within 5 feet of the amp. It is nice to know that there are guys out there, though, that will point you in the right direction. :wink:

I'm in the computer training business, and have been for over 20 years. We used to have a saying, "when all else fails, read the manual."

Mesa manuals are thorough. I read mine over and over again. I keep a copy in my jam room, and I keep a PDF copy on my office computer too. Sometimes, even a casual read of a few minutes between appointments can reveal some new insight that I hadn't noticed previously.

One more vote for the value of the Mesa manual - the one that came with my Lonestar Special has been invaluable and is so much fun to read.

I keep a copy of my RK manual in my gig box and I've actually pulled it out a time or two when I can't figure something or have a "brain fart".

Like the time I had no sound from my (at the time) tremoverb head?!?!!? I went throught that manual inch by inch and learned a few things about my amp and which tubes to check (I changed every tube). My problem wasn't in the book (well, in a way it was) and I had to use a backup amp at the last minute.. Then when packing up, I realized I forgot the speaker cable :? :? .

Sometimes the simplest most reasonable resolution to your problem is in step one of using a product!! (Plugged in, speaker cable, guitar connected, volume knob, channel select, ect...)

Yep. I usually print off a couple of copies. I keep one at work. One on my desk at home next to my amps and then the original and one copy go into a folder for safe keeping.

It's so easy to see when some folks share their "settings", who has read the manual and who hasn't. As soon as I see something like :

"Yeah, I dime my treble and bass and then cut mids to zero"

...I know this guy hasn't seen the manual.

Dave

Mesa manuals are great. Much more informative than a lot of manuals that come with music products these days. They very clearly explain how the amp is configured and how the controls interact with one another. I think the trouble for most people that can't dial in the amp they have isn't that they haven't referred to the manual...it's just that they don't understand how to apply what they've learned/read.

One thing I see time and time again is guys who will buy high wattage tube heads like a Dual Rectifier...they'll play it by themselves at bedroom volumes, crank up the knobs because they're less sensitive at lower volumes, then go to play with a band at high volumes and try to use the same settings. What happens is that the power amp kicks in, the controls become more powerful and sensitive, and all of a sudden that "necessary" high setting on the treble just becomes ear piercing, or that "necessary" high setting on the gain knob starts to sound like mush. Instead of jst backing off and re-EQ'ing for higher volumes, they assume the controls should be set there because it's what worked before and start trying to figure out what they're doing "wrong."

Then they come here and we tell them to back off the knobs. That's when they tell us "Then it won't have enough gain...it'll sound too weak...etc." They don't discriminate from when the power amp is truly affecting the tone vs. lower volumes and generalize that the low volume settings should work universally for them.

Anyway, I see that one a lot... 8)

I have become a big believer in the message in this thread.

A few years back I was just getting into guitar again. I had an old cheap amp and wanted an upgrade. I tried out an F50 and it sounded great so I bought one. Took it home and it hummed and I just couldn't seem to get the sound I wanted out of it. The whole time, I never read the manual and I traded it in.

Fast forward 3 years and a bunch of amps later I find myself looking at a Lonestar and wondering if I should give it a try. I plug in and twist the knobs and really don't like it. Oh well.

About 6 months later, I saw the Lonestar Special advertised. I go to the website at mesa and decide to look at the manual online. What intrigues me is the description of the interaction of the controls. It isn't like a Marshall where you have the same controls but very little tone shaping. After reading the manual a couple of times, I have a basic setting in mind and try out the LSS and like what I am hearing.

Ultimately, I ended up with my current LSC, but spent some of time reading the manual before I even tried it at the store. Since then I read the manual every month or so and discover some new nuance to play with.

Lately, trying to get a meatier crunch, I have been takign the advise in the manual. I've lowered the gain and engaged the Thicker switch and upped the base and mid.

I've often wondered if I would have kept the F50 had I just taken the time to read the manual and understand the interplay of the tone controls. The sales people ought to have to have buyers sign an affadvit saying they will read the manual at least twice before powering on. I do think, from my experience, that some of the disgruntled Mesa owners could have been salvaged had they read the manual.

Great thread!

Hey cnubb, you'll like this....

I've got a few different rigs and all have different tonestacks:
- Mesa (Lonestar)
- Fender-style (Fender, Peavey ValVerb)
- Baxandall (custom mini-preamp used with my POD to warm it up)

Talk about set it and forget it pitfalls

I've often wondered if I would have kept the F50 had I just taken the time to read the manual and understand the interplay of the tone controls. The sales people ought to have to have buyers sign an affadvit saying they will read the manual at least twice before powering on. I do think, from my experience, that some of the disgruntled Mesa owners could have been salvaged had they read the manual.

I agree. I've seen a lot of articles where guys were dissappointed with their first impressions with a specific amp model in the music store. If they would've taken the time to understand the amp before trying it, then they might have had a different, if not more favorable, impression. Someone before them may have flipped a switch, or they were unimpressed because they were playing at low volume and didn't get to hear the amp sing when it was opened up. These are just a few of the little things that could lead someone passing on their dream amp, whatever flavor that might be.

I have a soft copy of my manual as well as some printed hardcopies.. (Yes, one is in my gigbag...)
However, one thing I am missing in the manual is a very obvious one:
The tubes....
Nowhere in my manual for my DC-5 is stated which tubes are (or should be) in it...
(To see for yourself: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual%20Cal%20DC-5.pdf )

Or have i completely missed that part? Read it about 20 times....
Ayway, anyone who can give me this info is very much appreciated.

Hi, Satriani -

Check out DC-5 Operating Instructions - "Overview:" on page 1 of the manual. In that paragraph, it says the DC-5, "...uses two 6L6 power tubes to fuel it's healthy fifty watt power section".

Later, in the same section, it refers to the pre-amp section which uses, "...six 12AX7s tucked snugly away under the swing away tube clamp".

Hope this helps!!!
:D

Hahaha
I have to agree with all of the previous posters: You can discover something new, every time you read your manual...
PRS 10: Thank you! I must admit, i have really overlooked that part completely..
Just lets say.. Duhhhh, i feel dumb... :shock:

Latest posts

Back