Re-tubing a Stiletto - need some help!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonV05

Reaction score
Thinking of swapping out the EL34's for some JJ E34L's.

Do I need to bias? I need to add some wamth, and JJ's are the best way to get it!!

GibsonV05 said:
Thinking of swapping out the EL34's for some JJ E34L's.

Do I need to bias? I need to add some wamth, and JJ's are the best way to get it!!

Order the Groove Tubes version (30W version with "heat wings") and specify a #6 rating. They'll run just slightly warmer than the stock Mesa tubes so you'll get a less grainy sound but they're still well within the safe range. Mesa amps are fixed bias so you can't make bias adjustments without modding the amp slightly.

Bob at Eurotubes will select a set that will run safely in your Mesa too but he sells the 25W version. Whether or not there is much of a difference between these 2 versions of the E34L is kind of a controversial issue.

Would Bob be able to pick out a set that runs a little hotter? I thought I read that on the site somewhere.

just tell the man what you want! when i retubed my old nomad, i had him choose tubes grade for more headroom(cooler). i had the 6l6's i ordered for my jcm graded for maximum crunch(hotter). call him up. very friendly guy.

I ordered a couple high-gain ECC83S's for V1 & V2, and a balanced PI tube. I'm not messing with the power section just yet. 3 JJ's in the preamp WILL make a difference. We'll see what happens.

the e34ls will add more bottom and less grit to the stiletto as it did mine. I think the pre amp tubes are of more concern. I personally perfered el 34 over e34l given the same quality of tube.

Bobbypols said:
the e34ls will add more bottom and less grit to the stiletto as it did mine. I think the pre amp tubes are of more concern. I personally perfered el 34 over e34l given the same quality of tube.

Were preamp tubes more of a factor for you?

yup. its the voice of the amp. i found preamp tubes took off that painful high end. but there is benefit to be had by replacing power tubes as well. If i were to do it again, i d go with preamp tubes first again...then power tubes.

you should check if Bob has any KT-77's left..I haven't personally tried them, but from the sounds of it, they are a big plus over normal el34's.

To be honest with you, i ve dealt with bob twice...and hes kinda limited. I really think its best to go to a dealer that sells more then just 1 type of tube. Also, remember its personal taste, but the comparrisons ive HEARD and reports ive read, there are other tubes out there that are much better. While i dont suggest ruling out Bob, i do suggest talking to Doug from dougs tubes...he caries jj as well as many other brands and can give you a more objective answer then JJ JJ JJ JJ JJ which bob will give. But if you must go JJ, get the 12ax7 LONG Plates...there probably one of the best pre amp tubes out there...MUCH BETTER then the regular jj 12ax7.

my 2 cents.

being the north american distributor of JJ tubes, he would recomend them... the man was responsible for getting them to develop their 6v6, and the kt77. if you want JJ's, he is the guy to go to(plus he has the lowest prices on JJ's...). if you want anything else, go to doug or thetubestore. simple as that! whether or not another tube is 'better' is completely irrelevant. tube quality is pretty good these days so its more about subjective tone and harmonics rather then, is this tube better then that(although noise could be an issue with some). as long as your dealing with reputable brands and makers that is...

I ordered them Thursday, got them today. Just got a couple...
Hi-gain ECC83S's for V1 & V2, and a balanced/graded for the PI.

Warmed it up nicely, and added some sustain. Very nicely, I might add.
I LOVE this amp.! :D

i just threw some ecc83s in the v1,v2,v3 and found much the same. more sustain, a little more fluid sounding, and a little more warmth. not a huge change, but you can deffinilty hear it, and feel it in the playing. sort of rounds off some of the harsh high end as well. swapped the mesa's back in to check, and low and behond, i lost some of the fluid sustain, and it got a little brittle. biggest change is the way to harmonics react to my playing. much more controllable with pinched harmonics and double stops.

musicbox said:
i just threw some ecc83s in the v1,v2,v3 and found much the same. more sustain, a little more fluid sounding, and a little more warmth. not a huge change, but you can deffinilty hear it, and feel it in the playing. sort of rounds off some of the harsh high end as well. swapped the mesa's back in to check, and low and behond, i lost some of the fluid sustain, and it got a little brittle. biggest change is the way to harmonics react to my playing. much more controllable with pinched harmonics and double stops.

The changes in mine were subtle.. Just right, is all I can say.
This head kills through my G-Flex cab, again, with a boost.

If you really wanna get nuts, an EQ in the loop, and boost up front will brutalize it. It sounded as mean, and more "crisp" than the 5150 I had, NO ****! But, you seem to lose some harmonic detail, (like most FX loops)..

musicbox said:
everyones talking about boosting them. what boost are you using?

MXR Wylde OD. It's an excellent pedal. Adds a little beef, and doesn't color.

I run the level about 3:00, and the gain about 9:00. So, I'm adding more "boost" than gain. Kinda kicks the amp in the A$$. Sounds unreal.

Latest posts

Back