RCA 12ax7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen to what your ears are telling YOU about your tones, that is what counts. Do you like or not? No wrong answers...Peace.

I finally have gotten around to putting my Vintage RCA 12AX7 (and others) through it's paces last night at a gig. The first RCA I got a couple of weeks back was just too noisy to use, especially in V1. Good news is I got another and boy does it sound sweet.

I was coming from a variation of the "Doug's Special" (V1 Tung-Sol RI, V2 JJ High gain, V3 Penta, V4 JAN Philips, V5 EH & V6 Sovtek LPS)

The RCA in V1 alone really made a noticable difference. My preamp looked like this for the gig:
V1 = RCA 12AX7A short grey plate
V2 = RFT 12AX7 short plate
V3 = GE 12AX7A long plate
V4 = JAN Philips 12AX7WA
V5 = EH 12AX7
V6 = Sovtek 12AX7 LPS

The first thing I noticed is how much smoother the overdriven sounds are, even with the gain set high (2:00-2:30) in Modern mode. The RCA is a strong tube in V1, with a nice mid-range push. The lows are punchy but not muddy (unless there is a JJ in V2, then it can get muddy), and the highs are crystal clear. Cleans are full and 'chimey'. The RCA is an improvement over the Tung-Sol reissue, and alot clearer sounding and much more articulate than the JJ.

This tube was well worth the money. Shop around, I found mine on Ebay for $37 with shipping!

I've got to say, I'm a believer with these Vintage tubes. The place I played last night is rather small, and solo-wise I'm usually fighting the amp because of the lower volume I am forced to use, and I'll normally use my Tone Press compressor to help with sustain.

No need for the comp last night. Even at the lower volumes the amp was full sounding, with plenty of natural sustain.

I was so impressed, my jaw must have been hanging real low all night :twisted:

The Bottom Line?

If you've trained your ear enough to pick out the tonal and dynamic differences between most of the current production 12AX7's, get a RCA 12AX7A. It's a great sounding tube, and really not that expensive when you consider the overall quality.

If you are convinced that all tubes sound the same :shock: , save your money.

If you're looking for some magic tube to transform your amp into 'that tone you hear in your head', save your money. Believe me, I know I'm playing a Recto, with all the growl and bite I bought it for, but the overall clarity and dynamic expressiveness of the amp has been improved 100X.

Look out Mullard, here I come ! ! ! :D

Dom

RCA 12AX7s!! I am running in my LSC

V1 RCA 12AX7 Short Plate
V2 Mullard 12AX7
For reverb an Amperex 12AT7

I have a Mesa 12AX7 in the effects loop, cause I don't use it (switch off)
and a JJ gold pin 12AX7 ballanced for a PI in V5

I have found that I like the RCA for clean Channel 1 and the smooth breakup of the Mullard for the gain stages. My LSC is Reedered. I did notice a mod difference, subtle, but enjoyable.

The 12AT7 makes the reverb warmer and more managable.
I have heard no difference in PI tubes. I bought a NOS balanced and matched RFT 12AX7 for PI, but it is not worth burning it up by running it in that slot. I can't hear a difference!

I am going to put it in my Marshall or use it in V1 of the Mesa on some classic rock or blues gigs!

RCA 12AX7s are killer, but as a certified tube ***** so are Mullards, Teslas, Teles, Sylvanias. GEs, Jan Phillips etc. For V1 and V2 almost any NOS tube is warmer, and more dynamic than a New tube.. IMHO!

Latest posts

Back