''Rate your boogie''

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartchamdoh

Reaction score
What would you give your boogie out of 10? I,ll start the ball rolling my best boogie is a fully loaded simul class mark 3 green stripe in a custom flame maple short head, i,ve played a mark 4 and thought for what i like to play(hard rock/ fusion) the 3 was better!I,m gonna give it a 9 but only because i played a mark 5 the other week and thought it was better!

It's hard to put a rating on them, because I havn't heard a ton of different amps in a private setting.

I can say that the FIVE humbles me with it's variety and richness of sound. It's like being dropped in the middle of the 'Manhattan of tone' with endless roads to whatever sonic venture you desire. Definitely a tone addict's needle, you can tweak for hours and appreciate the little nuances of clip and tone.

Little tip: If you dip too much into the negative on the send level of the effects loop it softens the bite and 'life' of the gain. I tried to do this so I could pump up the master of each channel in hopes for more bite, I got less.

Aww to hell with it, I give the Mark V a 9/10.. just because it doesn't make coffee for me.

The only other Boogie i've owned is the Mark IV, which i've enjoyed for 15 years or so. It's the gift that kept on giving for me. I rarely got bored with it, and would still be playing it today if the FIVE didn't turn out to be as great as I hoped. The one thing worth mentioning is the way it fills my cabinet up with a warm bassy glowing aura, a certain pleasant taste of yesteryear that some people can't live without. It's authentic.

I have to dock one point from it though, because I couldn't get away with playing it at night like I can the FIVE. It didn't make coffee back then either. The Mark IV gets an 8/10. :wink:

If you can't squeak an awesome tone out of Boogie's I can't help you.

Well, I've owned three Boogies. They go as follows:

3-Channel Dual Rectifier - 7.0/10.00 Liked the amp, just too much of that fizzy Rectifier sound.

Express 5:50 1x12 - 8.0/10.00 Really nice, versatile amp. Wish it had a touch more drive on the Burn Channel.

Mark V Head - 9.5/10.00 - Perfect amp for me. Not a 10 because everything can be better. Will take to my grave!

I'll be the first with the balls to give the Mark V 10/10.

I couldn't ask for more. Perfect in every way.

Mark IV 8/10. Love the lead channel, but 2 was useless and it desparately needed a solo boost.

2ch triple rec. 9/10. It does one thing but it does it VERY well. For metal rhythm this is the amp.

Stiletto Trident 7/10. I like it better than marshalls! But not really my style. I sold mine after a month or so.

F-50 8/10. Wow totally didn't expect such great tone from a "budget" amp. These can be had fairly cheap and sound great! After having the V for a month I sold the F-50 though.

Now I'm down to just a Mark V head and Triple Rec. What an amazing duo!

I had a Trem-o-Verb head for 10 years prior to getting the Mark V. The Mark V blows the TOV away....I liked the TOV Modern Hi Gain Channel but the Blues Channel was wasn't very good, at least that's my opinion. And the Mark V kills the TOV Clean sound.

I also never used the Tremolo on the TOV...Probably should have bought a Mark IV way back when.

The Mark V is like having 9 amps in 1 chassis...If you can't find a tone you like with the Mark V, maybe you're just way too much of a dork or a self proclaimed "Tone Chaser" (I doubt your audience really cares which tone you're playing Sweet Home Alabama on...)

Mark IV - 8/10 The tone was great. But there were things that I really didn't like (..sharing knobs for ch 1 and 2) and some other small things. All my prayers were answered with the..

Mark V - 10/10 Truly my perfect amp. I will take this one to the grave as well.

50 Caliber + gets an 8
Mark III (green stripe) gets a 9
Mark IV (B version) gets a 10

Yes, I own all three of them. I am a Mesa nut. :)

My first Boogie was/is a Rocket 440 w/4x10" combo. That was my first taste of the "Boogie" sound. It was my low cost entry which i bought used for $450. The cleans are great and I love the reverb and tremolo, although the tremolo is a bit weak. I'll give it an 8/10 and I'd still be playing it a lot if I hadn't got...

A Mark V combo which is my new and probably last amp purchase. I've been playing for over 35 years and the only thing missing from this amp for me is the tremolo. This one is a keeper and I couldn't be happier with the variety of sounds I get from it. I give this one a 9.5/10. I'll knock off half a point 'cause it doesn't have a tremolo.

Dual caliber dc-5 (head)

8/10

My first boogie.:)
Love the tone, but very loud.. ( small appartment)
Anyways would never get rid of it, cause it will always be "my first boogie" Know what I mean?? :)

Road King II head = 10.0
Mark V Combo = 10.0
Bass 400+ = 9.0
Stilletto Deuce Stage II head = 9.5
F-30 = 9.0

No longer own:
Dual Rectifier = 8.5
Mark IVA = 8.0

Carpdawg said:
The Mark V is like having 9 amps in 1 chassis...If you can't find a tone you like with the Mark V, maybe you're just way too much of a dork or a self proclaimed "Tone Chaser" (I doubt your audience really cares which tone you're playing Sweet Home Alabama on...)
I wouldn't really consider myself a tone chaser. I just like that on the 5:25 you can hear every note in a chord while having the gain dimed. Couldn't do that on the Mark V which was the ultimate reason that I didn't go with it. It didn't have the one tone that mattered most to me. :L

Amps I've owned:
Nomad 55 1x12 7/10 -- I found the voice to be too modern
Rectoverb combo 8.5/10 -- Great tones, but a bit narrow
Mark IIC 9/10 -- Incredible tone and feel for rhythm; shared controls :(
Mark IIC+ 9/10 -- Incredible tone and feel for anything; temperamental; a bit too edgy to be THE amp for me; shared controls :(
Mark IV 9.5/10 -- Versatile and reliable, but loses the vintage feel of a Mark II

Amps I've demo'd
Lonestar Classic (1x12, 2x12) -- 9/10
Lonestar Classic (4x10) -- 9.5/10 Possibly the best single sound I've heard from any Boogie
Lonestar Special (1x12) -- 8.5/10
Dual Rectifier 8.5/10 -- Not my cup of tea; not articulate enough
Stiletto Ace 8/10 -- Not my cup of tea
Express series 8/10 -- Not my cup of tea
Studio 22+ 9/10 -- Borrowed one at a recent party; pleasantly surprised; Mark feel without the weight!

jeez, dodger916 is a hard act to follow

markIV: 9/10 : awesome lead, r2 is pretty good for hard rock and r1 is pretty good imo
markIII (sold) : 7.5/10 great rhythm tone, but lacked enough gain for leads
markIIC - going to get the + upgrade when I get a little spare cash, I'll hold off on this one...

EtherealWidow said:
Carpdawg said:
I wouldn't really consider myself a tone chaser. I just like that on the 5:25 you can hear every note in a chord while having the gain dimed. Couldn't do that on the Mark V which was the ultimate reason that I didn't go with it. It didn't have the one tone that mattered most to me. :L

I think all Mark amps have a spin out zone, to offer options for those that want to play at extrememly low volumes or just have a noisy gain. It's there as an option.

The Mark 5 out of all the mark amps i've played is the most tolerant to gain 'diming' as you say.

Latest posts

Back