Rane PE 15 Parametric!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
Holy $@%#!!!! I just bought and hooked up my new Rane Parametric EQ, and it has finally gave me the perfect sound I've been looking for for years!! I recently bought a Mark IV, which in my opinion is the greatest amp ever created, and I still was missing what I needed. I had been using a crappy DBX graphic EQ and I hated it. I had been looking for a good parametric for years, but couldn't really find any. Almost all of them were discontinued. Anyway, I heard about the Rane and it looked exactly like what I was looking for, but I couldn't find any info on the quality of it or if it can be applied for a guitar rig. I took the chance and bought one-it is the holy grail of my rack!!! So, anybody that's looking for a great parametric eq to get the tone of their dreams...here it is!!! But don't forget, it ALWAYS starts with a great amp!!!!

The Rane PE 15 is a very good parametric EQ. It was replaced by the Rane PE17 which is very similar.TC Electronics made 2 equally good parametric rack mount EQ's that turn up on Ebay fairly regularly.

I have a question though. What are you doing with the Rane ? Boosting or cutting ?

Long-time proponent of Para-EQs. Glad you found yer sound!

Edward

I've never used an EQ with my setup before, but was thinking of getting one. What do you gain with a parametric? What are the differences?

parametric lets YOU decide which frequency to cut/boost.

graphic is a pre-selected frequency that you cut/boost.

Elpelotero said:
parametric lets YOU decide which frequency to cut/boost.
graphic is a pre-selected frequency that you cut/boost.

Yup. And as a plus, once you choose your center frequency, you can adjust the Q, i.e. the "width" of the band that you are cutting/boosting.

FWIW, I have found 3-4 band parametric EQs very helpful, more so for cutting a particular freq than for boosting (boosting "can" add noise, depending on your unit or application). Along with your regular tone stack, a modest cut here and a mild boost there on a P-EQ does a LOT to shape your tone the way you want.

Edward

I use a Rane PE-17. It sounds great and is hands down one of the best P.E.'s I have ever used. 8)

Back