RADIO NOISE ON MY RECTOVERB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solasound

Reaction score
My Rectoverb V1 Combo is picking up German/Swedish MW/LW radio all of a sudden. Does anyone know if this is a just a tube failure or anything more serious? :cry:

Do you have the metal covers on your pre-amp tubes? Also, I had a similar issue with receiving a radio station, but it was due to being connect to a direct box for recording. Something with that connection must've been making an antenae. Anyway, I disconnected the direct box and recorded with a mic instead. No issues after that.

HAHA

I ocassionaly have that "feature" with my Road King.

It seems to come and go depending on a lot of things including:
Cables, the other things that are plugged into the power strip, where I'm standing, how much gain I use, master volume...even which lights I have on in my house.

Also check out the guitar lead and in plug. Make sure the lead is in good order, and that the in plug is clean.

I had the same problem. It picked up a monster cable, and my tone is dead quiet now.
Had the problem with another amp and it turned out to be a problem with my wah.

macaddict said:
I had the same problem. It picked up a monster cable, and my tone is dead quiet now.

I have a friend that works at a music store (a Pro Audio store, no guitar stuff) and they had a tester there that he told me to come try out..... You bring your old cables and an instrument (or your voice) or even just use the CD player they had there and plugged your cable in to the machine and played and it measured the levels that came out of your instrument, and then you swapped to a Monster cable and play it with your same stuff and it measured the levels again and the monster cables showed higher levels all across the board and even sounded just a hair crisper through the monitor speakers (almost like throwing a BBE with minimal settings on it).

I didn't buy any cables since I'm going by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, BUT I know what I'm going to replace my cables with when it's time. I never believed all the hype over the Monster Cables (or other like cable), but now I'm a believer after seeing and hearing the difference the other day.

Just a little FYI

I hear ya on the cables and I'm following the same basic rule. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I'll replace or upgrade a cable as it becomes necessary. If I think that a cable is being even suspect intermittent, that's when I'll replace it. There's nothing more frustrating than something that's intermittent, especially with electronics. My first thought is always, gee I wonder how this piece would fair at the 100 yard line of the rifle range. I never followed through, but the thought does come to me. For me, a hard failure is easier to deal with.

I've heard that some of the premiere cables can alter your sound to being undesirably brighter. Then you'll have to tweak to suit your sound. My ears are not that good to necessarily pick it out subtlies. Whatever cable you get, make sure that it's going to stand up to the abuse of gigging.

Back to the radio noise... I was picking up was a Spanish speaking station at the time. :shock: Unfortunately, I couldn't even play along and it wasn't adding to the mix. :lol:

Actually, I had the same problem back with my old solid state amps as well. I think 90% of the problem is due to poorly shielded cables. Switch to good cables, they'll do you more good than you can possibly imagine. (I recommend George L or Planet Waves... about the same price online, just don't pay more than $5/head for the Planet Waves)

tele_jas said:
macaddict said:

I have a friend that works at a music store (a Pro Audio store, no guitar stuff) and they had a tester there that he told me to come try out..... You bring your old cables and an instrument (or your voice) or even just use the CD player they had there and plugged your cable in to the machine and played and it measured the levels that came out of your instrument, and then you swapped to a Monster cable and play it with your same stuff and it measured the levels again and the monster cables showed higher levels all across the board and even sounded just a hair crisper through the monitor speakers (almost like throwing a BBE with minimal settings on it).

I didn't buy any cables since I'm going by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, BUT I know what I'm going to replace my cables with when it's time. I never believed all the hype over the Monster Cables (or other like cable), but now I'm a believer after seeing and hearing the difference the other day.

Just a little FYI

Actually I had just the opposite experience. I A/B'ed my old trusty monster cable guitar cables and a 'bullet cable' made by core equipment or whatever and the difference was staggering... I doubt I'll ever use a Monster cable again.

I've owned it for quite some time, so perhaps they're making a better product now but I've left them in my 'gear closet' with all the other misfit toys.

You can get faint radio with the reverb in the Lonestars with NO guitar plugged in.

Power conditioner is sposed to stop it.

Latest posts

Back