rackmount midi channel switcher

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I own a Roadster head and a G-Major. I am probably going to dive into the scary world of midi, lol.( I have no idea how midi works). I have heard of the Amp Gizmo and the Voodoo Labs switcher CFX4? but are there any rackmountable switchers that work well?
Also, what midi controllers does everyone use and the pros and cons of each?
I appreciate any and all help!!!

Thanks

rjm who produce the amp gizmo just released the RG-16...... its about twice the price but has 8 audio loops and 8 function switches... the best part is they have special cables for certain amps like the roadster so you dont have a tone of wires running into the switching jacks in the back of your amp.... it can actually control 2 amps at the same using their special cables that plug right into the footswitch jack in your amp..... it also has tons of options for controlling your rig.... the part i like the best is the line buffer for pedals.... considering it comes in at $599 (if i remember correctly) it's very competitive with other units like it (switchblade, bradshaw type systems)...... check it out for yourself

also the amp gizmo has predrilled holes in the bottom so it can be attached to a rack shelf

I use a Voodoo Labs (Digital Music Corp.) GCX switcher with a Ground Control Pedal to switch my Mark IV. Many pros use the GCX system too. It is extrememly versital and I've previously used it for years in my rack to switch between different preamps and effects.

I am in process of buying another unit from a fellow forum member (hey John :lol: ) so that I can use it to switch my Mark III. He has two GCX units for sale, and there is one still available. It's a good deal, so I'd jump on it if you decide you want want one. Here's the link: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17972

I use the Ground Control Pro/GCX combination in my rig to control my Mark IV switching as well as my digital efx unit.

I am new to the MIDI system as well.

This is what I want to use: Roadster, G-Major, Pro Ground Control.

Is there anything I'm missing to make this work? Do I need a GCX or something to switch it all if I'm only using one amp and effects processor?

steeldragonjovi said:
I am new to the MIDI system as well.

This is what I want to use: Roadster, G-Major, Pro Ground Control.

Is there anything I'm missing to make this work? Do I need a GCX or something to switch it all if I'm only using one amp and effects processor?

well yeah... the gmajor can only switch 2 channels and you have 4.... plus i believe the switching from the gmajor will only work for the fx loop, solo, and tuner mute..... i forget the reason myabe someone else can chime in

a units like the GCX, Amp Gizmo or RG-16 act as the brains of your setup..... basically the ground control will send the messages and the GCX or like product will "translate" the message and switch all your other gear such as the channels and functions on your roadster and the patch on your gmajor all with one click of the button..... without some sort of "brain", you wont be able to switch everything at once..... i bought my amp gizmo as a spoontanious purchase and i couldnt be happier.... the fact that all my gear is controlled by one switch is incredible.... mostly because i like to use a lot of fx

Yes, you'll also need a GCX unit as jdurso mentioned.

Your G-Major will connect to the GCX. You'll also need to connect the switch jacks on your Roadster to the GXC to get the switching functions to work. An 8-channel Hosa 1/4" or TSR recording snake or equivalent is ideal (that's what I use), and will keep all these connections bundles together nicely. Your Ground Control Pro will connect to the GCX and will control the entire setup.

The GCX is a powerful and versitil unit. Do a little research on the web (www.voodoolab.com)to learn more about what it can do.

Tuna141 said:
Yes, you'll also need a GCX unit as jdurso mentioned. The GCX is a powerful and versitil unit. Do a little research on the web (www.voodoolab.com) to learn more about what it can do.
Better yet just download the GCX manual.

I run a Mark IV, Roadking and fx's with 2 gcx switchers in my rack. Thumbs up!! Great shiat

For just a simple switching system I have used the Axess Electronics CFX4 on my Nomad 100... very simple very effective

I just got a Ground Control Pro & GCX audio switcher for my Roadster Head & G-Major. Works fantastic and I throw a couple of pedals in the audio switcher too, change everything with ONE button. Love it, I hate tap-dancing on stage turning on/off multiple pedals

Latest posts

Back