Rack Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meemawuk

Reaction score
Okay so I'm slowly aquiring rack pieces for my new rig and the complete rack should include all of the following: 50/50, TA, G-Major, Power Conditioner.

So thats 5U worth of stuff so essentially I'm gonna need a 6U rack. However, I was thinking about possibly going for an 8U and getting a decent sized rack drawer for bits and bobs. This would also allow me to add units and drop the drawer should I choose to in the future.

What I really need to know is, is it really feasable to be able to carry an 8U flight case rack filled with gear? The weight of items I'd put in the drawer would probably be neglegable so I dont think it would add much weight. How big are all your racks?

Edit: Also wanted to know what people prefer; plywood with toltex rack cases or plastic cases? and why if possible.

I assume you mean you're planning on carrying your rack by hand. I briefly had my Rec Pre racked up in a 6U rack with a 2U H&K power amp, a power conditioner, and an fx unit, and that was one of the reasons that I decided the 20/20 was for me.

Depending on how long your arms are an 8U rack could be a little unwieldy, and I don't think you'll ever want to put any more actual gear in it due to weight. If I were you I'd go with the 6U and skip the drawer.

I'm using an SKB rack case (plastic.) I wouldn't use a wood case just because of the weight.

If you go with an actual shockmounted flight case, wood or plastic, forget about carrying it by hand even if it's 6U, plus it will stop fitting in things like back seats, trunks, etc.

Thanks for the reply. My arms are pretty long being particularly tall but I understand that the 8U will be more awkward to carry. I'll have a think about it, no drawer might mean I need to carry an extra bag and I'm unsure as to whether it would be more hassel carrying another lightish bag or a slightly bigger rack.

So you would suggest a plastic case would be the way to go? I guess they would be lighter yes but maybe a slightly more awkward shape?

I definately wouldn't want to haul an 8 space rack around. I use a six space rack with a TA, 50/50, Furman, GCX, and a KORG tuner and I use a hand truck for that. If I have to go any larger I would certainly use two smaller racks rather than 1 larger rack.

I might for for 2 4u racks then and use one for 50/50 and drawer, and the other for everything else. hmmm

depending on the size of your car, you could also look into a flight rack with wheels on it if you really want to go with a flight case.

i think 2x 4 space racks would probably be the way to go though.

My 6U rack containing a Simul 395, Studio Preamp, and power conditioner is ungodly heavy. That's why I went for one of those SKB Roll-X racks so I can roll it along. Doesn't help when it's time to put it on top of the cab though.

Latest posts

Back