R2 - Yay or Nay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my definition of that statement was... I used R2 to convince myself that it was a complete waste of emotional health to continue wishing this channel would get a nice classic crunch for me. To me this is the worst Mesa channel on ANY mesa amp to date. Other may disagree and that is their right..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is exactly how I felt about it. I could have modded it, but the DC-10 did everything I needed and the tone was less tight.

If I played Metal, I might have kept the IV instead of the 10.

As for the Reverb though. You should try a Rectoverb before you laugh at the IV's Reverb. It is passable, but the ROV's is crap.

For that matter, most of the newer Fender amps have crappy Reverb unless you get a reissue model.

I ordered a new Accutronics reverb tank from Ebay. Took out the foam from under the springs and wow what a difference. On the clean channel anyways it sounds fantastic. But on the lead channel it still sounds like it's overdriving the channel and distorting it. I wish I knew how to fix that. Anyways, sorry for the hijack. This was on my 2005 MKIV BTW.
The reverb on my revision A MKIV already sounded really good.

I use a trebleboost on my MKIV. R2 sounds really sweet with it. I like R2 without the boost as well for more classic rock. I usually just leave the boost on all the time and roll the volume back on my guitar. Also, revision B MKIV's have more gain in R2 than the original MKIV IMHO.

srf399 said:
Sound is subjective... we always hear this and to a point it is true.

So the statement, "When you didn't know how to use it properly" is used i need clarification. Use it for what?

my definition of that statement was... I used R2 to convince myself that it was a complete waste of emotional health to continue wishing this channel would get a nice classic crunch for me. To me this is the worst Mesa channel on ANY mesa amp to date. Other may disagree and that is their right..

I have never heard the R2 sound good. It was useless for any classic rock application I ever tried it on. Rubbery & dull were all that I heard with this channel. I got rid of the MKIV 7 months ago and have never regretted it. Just my opinion... obviously others enjoy playing through that inner tube sound. What I can't believe is that Mesa never did a version 3 of the MKIV and fixed it. Mesa figured R2 was a beaut as well I suppose. Don't get me started on that reverb now LMAO. If I was ever going to go back to a MK it would be a MKIIC+ or a MKIII.

About using R2 properly...

When I first got it, I wanted to use it for my heavy riffing tones...the few settings I tried that I found on the net weren't really pushing it hard enough for the application I was planning to use it for.

After fucking with it, I managed to get the sound I wanted out of it; using it properly [for my intended application].

Monsta-Tone said:
If I played Metal, I might have kept the IV instead of the 10.

If you played metal, the amp wouldn't make any difference, as any metal guitarist has the same (awful and undesirable) tone :)))

Back