Quick question 2x12 --> 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

Reaction score
Picked up my 2:90 today and my 2x12 horizontal rectifier cab that i ordered 4 months ago!! :shock: :shock: :shock: will be delivered within the day. As you all can imagen I'm psyched, but I need to ask you boogie heads this. Since this isn't a stereo cab, and I will only be using one output on my 2:90. Should I use speaker output 8 or 4 ohm?

I know this may seem like a stupid question to some, but I dont want to make any stupid mistakes that will end up hurting my precious gear. Better safe than sorry.

Max

If your 2X12 is mono you have to open it and see what is the speakers ohms.
They are in series so

If they are 2 ohm each 2 + 2 = 4 ohm
If they are 4 ohm each 4 + 4 = 8 ohm
If they are 8 ohm each 8 + 8 = 16 ohm.

I think this is the right formula.

Why dont you split your speakers in two than you ll have an stereo rig ?

Simply cut the wires from one speaker to the other and solder females at the end of the wires.
put an stereo fx like xpression and you are ready to rock

:p

Picked up my 2:90 today and my 2x12 horizontal rectifier cab that i ordered 4 months ago!! will be delivered within the day

If your 2X12 is mono you have to open it and see what is the speakers ohms.

wait for the moment, we don´t know if mesa has any kind of void warranty if seals open, try first to measure the ohms with a polimeter with the cab and a cable, and then ask to mesa
If it happens anything when you are opening the cab we hadn´t any resposability, so please try to measure first and then call to mesa

Why does one have to do any measuring of any kind? This is a brand new cab ordered from Mesa. The back plate shows the cab Ohm...and I'd assume the buyer specified what he wanted (i.e. an 8 ohm cab).

Personally, I would have went with the Road King 2x12 Cab, which is stereo or mono plus each speaker is in it's own sectioned off space. In know that one side is open and the other sealed. But I don't thin it be a problem to have mesa just stick the recto 2x12 closed back panel on it (I believe both cabs are the same size. And if V30s is you thing, then you could have specified 2 V30s vs. V30/C90.

sombra said:

By doing that i would probably lose the waranty, so it's not an option atm. But who knows, maby in the near furure i will be temted doing this. :D

JAZZGEAR said:
Why does one have to do any measuring of any kind? This is a brand new cab ordered from Mesa. The back plate shows the cab Ohm...and I'd assume the buyer specified what he wanted (i.e. an 8 ohm cab).

Sure enough, it was an 8 ohm cab, says so on the back plate.

JAZZGEAR said:
Personally, I would have went with the Road King 2x12 Cab, which is stereo or mono plus each speaker is in it's own sectioned off space.

The roadking 2x12 is to expensive. The prices for mesa gear here in Europe is insane. I could almost buy a 4x12 at the same price...

Anyways thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

Now back playing 8)

just mod it to stereo : pretty simple

just need a special female jack that will split into stereo when detects a jack in (as 1936 marshall)

I have this config in my setup. I also have a m/b 20/20 two independently monoblocks and I´m doing some experiments about split the signal in two different paths. Each of the two monoblock amps inside the 20/20 have different tubes and different volumes then they attach in a stand alone mode directly to each speaker, as in stand alone I said getting a two mono signals. with the volume controls I do the balance. it´s just a very funny sound, not as contundent as a mono rig, but with more richness in spectral domain, with a lot of nice harmonics, mixed with the volume pots

"because is better solution than open the cab"

Why is there a need to open the cab? What? Can't read the back panel? All Mesa Cabs have the Ohm rating on the back of the cab. :?: :roll:

Latest posts

Back