Questions About Outputs on 20/20

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonStradling

Reaction score
Hey I've had a 20/20 for about a year now and I used to have it set up using a four ohm out on each channel into a 4x12 cab run in stereo. Now I'm using a stereo 2x12 and using the two 8 ohm outputs. But I want to know, is it possible to use both 2 8 ohm outputs and 2 4 ohm outputs at once? so I can use two of the four ohm outs to power my 4x12 and use the two eight ohms to power my 2x12? Can I use four of the six speaker outs at once?

No, I would not recommend it. Each side of the amp would be seeing about 2.6 ohms and problems would begin to arise quickly.

Chris... 8)

You shouldn't run 4 & 8 ohm speakers together. It just doesn't work. The 4 ohm speakers end up getting 2/3 of the power and will be far louder then the 8 ohm speakers. Not to mention the fact that connecting them in parallel will drop the impedence to 2.67 ohms which most likely could and eventually would damage the amp. Also when it comes to the 4 & 8 ohm outs on the back of your amp, that's an either/or choice. They should not be used together. Some combinations just weren't meant to be, your's is one of them.

I think the 2x12 and the 4x12 wiring option will be fine. It is a stereo amp so run the 2x12 Cabinet (4Ω) on one side and the 4x12 Cabinet (8Ω) on the other. Just make sure that you plug the each of the cabinets into the correct matching ohms output.....ONE PER SIDE!!!

Cheers,

luigi said:
I think the 2x12 and the 4x12 wiring option will be fine. It is a stereo amp so run the 2x12 Cabinet (4Ω) on one side and the 4x12 Cabinet (8Ω) on the other. Just make sure that you plug the each of the cabinets into the correct matching ohms output.....ONE PER SIDE!!! Cheers,
That's not what he asked.

Not what he asked.......re-read his second post.

As for not a good idea.......it's a stereo amp...meaning two amps in one box. Hence the dual volume, presence control and output. Hooking a 4Ω cabinet to one amp and an 8Ω cabinet to the other will not hurt it. One side may over power the other but it won't hurt. There are two output trannies in those amps. Each running two EL84's each.......it will not hurt....as long as you run the MONO 4Ω cab on the 4Ω tap of the first amp and the MONO 8Ω cab on the 8Ω tap of the second amp or vica versa.

Believe me, I own one.

In stereo setups, generally you'd want the same setup on either side of the power amp. I'd either trade the 2x12 for a 4 to match the one you have, or vice versa.

I agree with you......generally you would want the same on each side.....the point is....you can do it if you so desire.

Latest posts

Back