Question of Dual Recto FX Loop.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I order my brand new dual recto 3 days ago....shop says they should have it in from Mesa in 30 days, so I'm really excited! In about a week or two, I'll be ordering my avatar 4x12 so I can still have there 14 day return policy on the cab just in case.

Now, for my question.....reading more into the recto, I read that when turning the FX loop off, this disengages not only the solo option but the output (master volume) also.....first of all, is this true?

Secondly.....how do you guys dial in the effect loop? Do you cut it out? To me it seems like a good thing to have, as the master volume can help me to acheive slightly better tone at lesser volumes.....

So what do you guys recommend? How do you guys dial in the loop on your rectos?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Now, for my question.....reading more into the recto, I read that when turning the FX loop off, this disengages not only the solo option but the output (master volume) also.....first of all, is this true?

Secondly.....how do you guys dial in the effect loop? Do you cut it out? To me it seems like a good thing to have, as the master volume can help me to acheive slightly better tone at lesser volumes.....

So what do you guys recommend? How do you guys dial in the loop on your rectos?

When you set the FX loop to bypass, it does disable the Solo function and the Output knob on the front and you can only use the channel masters to turn up the amp on each channel, one at a time. But if you enable the FX loop and use the footswitch (set the FX loop to footswitch), it doesn't disable the Solo and Output.

As far as where I set my FX loop, I just ran a multi FX unit in mine and set the mix to close to 10% on the Boogie and around 80% on the FX unit.

So... Just set the FX loop to Footswitch (weither you use FX or not or it's on or not) and you'll be good to go and still be able to use the solo and output.

Right recto guys?? It's been almost a year sice I had my Triple and I think thats how it all works.

Question though....if I put it to footswitch, will the output and solo functions only work when I enable the loop on the footswitch?

One more question....when dialing in a boogie volume wise, is it better to keep the individual channel volumes higher and output lower, somewhat even, output higher and channel lower, or does it not really matter....from my experiences, I've gotten the best tones by putting the channel volume high and output lower.

With the FX Loop bypassed, it will effectively eliminate it from your signal chain. This also disengages the Solo and Output knobs. Although there's no right or wrong answer here, it's my recommendation that if you're not running effects through the loop, I would keep it out of my signal chain. It's just one more thing in your signal path to alter your tone.

In regards to the volumes...you can achieve sounds that are equally good using only the channel volume with the output disengaged, or with both the channel and master volumes. Honestly, it may be easier to achieve a better sound with only one volume knob if you're not as experienced with using two because the ratio of pre and power amp power will already be balanced and optimized, allowing you to use a single knob.

Like I said, these are my opinions...there's no right or wrong answer here... 8)

I don't use effects, so I keep the loop bypassed! Turning the channel masters up, with the loop engaged and the overall master down will not give you better tone at low or high volumes! As a matter of fact, engaging the loop at all will degrade the tone IMHO!

quick question and slightly off topic.
Do you use guitar or speaker cables for jacks inserting in the fx loop, pre amp out or power amp in ?

chennie said:
Do you use guitar or speaker cables for jacks inserting in the fx loop, pre amp out or power amp in ?

I use guitar cables to connect to my FX loop.

chennie said:

It'd be signal cables (ie: guitar cables). Speaker cables are only used when it's coming from a power amp to power a speaker or a cabinet.

my thoughts exactly, but somewhere in a vague moment of weakness, I started to doubt =)
Thanks anyway !

ibanez4life SZ! Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question though....if I put it to footswitch, will the output and solo functions only work when I enable the loop on the footswitch?

no, if you have your footswitch hooked up, you can turn off your fx loop and still have solo option, as well as output volume control. I modded my fx loop to series, so i can't answer your 'mix' question.

I personally have the masters of each channel between 12-2oclock and output to control the volume depending on the room I am in, I find that gets the amp hotter and more responsive. Once you start playing w/ your settings, you'll never stop. I've had mine over a year and am still finding ways to tweak this and that to get a new tone. You've got to throw all of your prejudices to knob settings out the window when you buy a boogie. They adjust very differently than other amps.

Did you get your avatar cab yet? what did you have it loaded w/? I know someone the just bought a 2X12 avatar w/ a V30 & G12H30 and it sounds great...awesome prices.

I order my avatar cab, it should be here in 2 days.....it's coming loaded with 4 V30's....

I actually already got the dual recto, brand new from Mesa 2 days ago! I have never personally seen a brand new recto, and let me tell you, it's really a site in person. It just has a completely different atmosphere to it!

Here are the pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/e320/tumil7654/Mesa%20Boogie%20Dual%20Rectifier/

Latest posts

Back