Question for those with Boogie Studios...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphadog808

Reaction score
Hey guys,
For those of you that have the Mesa Studio line, how do you deal with having just one set of tone and volume(I think) knobs to control both the Clean and the Gain channel?

Is this a config you can gig with? I would think it would hard to dial in a tone that sounds good both in clean and distorted...? I wouldn't have time to walk to the amp to change settings(besides the footswitch), so I was wondering if the studio line was truly just meant, "for the studio"...

thanks!

It all depends on your taste and what you use it for. I had a .50 + and I loved it. It had only one set for both the clean and lead channels. I play mostly heavy stuff but clean as well. I'm one of those "use different amps for different sounds" kind of guys. I had it set up for the lead channel only and used another amp for my cleans. If that is the only amp you want to use, just try to find something that fits both channels and that you're happy with it. Mesa amps are so versatile that you can get pretty much any sound and probably find a way to tone both channels together nicely. Good luck!!!

I am a Studio Preamp owner. Before I bought it I had read a lot of talk that it was hard to get a good dirty and a good clean tone at the same time on it, but I have not found that to be the case at all. In fact after a lot of experimentation, I've decided not to even use the graphic EQ on mine. For a while I had it engage on the lead setting only, but hell, my lead tone sounds perfect without it even on. The Studio Preamp, however, does have a rhythm bright switch, which I think is key to getting a clean sound that I like. I don't know if all of the Studio line has this, and I haven't tried many settings with the bright switch off. Also, I am not playing with real super high gain...I like to play big fat riffs but it's a more old-school level of gain. I don't think the Studio series is appropriate for modern metal gain styles anyway.

I'm assuming you're talking about the line that includes the Studio .22?

I used one for years with great success and was able to achieve both clean and dirty tones that were very serviceable. I only play single coil guitars, so I'm not sure if the settings I used would produce similar results with humbuckers.

Basically I would set up the amp to get a great clean sound, but pushing the gain to about 7. Treble and Bass were set somewhere in the 6 to 7 range, and I used to dial back the mids to 4. The Presence control used to have a fairly pronounced effect, and I used to set it around 5 or 6. This would give me a nice chimey rhythm sound that had a bit of bite if I hit the strings hard, but softened up if I was less aggressive.

I used to run mine with the output master dialled up pretty high - in the 7 range. Went through tubes fast, but it was a great way to get the amp really sounding good.

I found the trick to the overdrive was to use the graphic EQ. Basically if you use the classic "V", but don't scoop the mids all the way out, and puch the bass almost all the way up, you get a really nice creamy lead sound. If you need to push it further, the only way to do it (I found) without destroying the tone, was to use a clean boost up-front to make the solos scream.

These amps are great, and you CAN get very useable and gigworthy sounds out of them.

Latest posts

Back