Question for MkIV owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarnine

Reaction score
Hello All,

Relatively new MKIV-B owner here....i was just wondering what some of you are doing as far as "live" settings go for playing med. sized places. most of these venues have a decent PA with sound guys that insist on "can you turn down a little" The current band I am in is playing High Gain Metal......so, from experience, anyone care to share some of their settings/advice that will yield the best results with this amp.

i finally convinced the sound guy to let me run mic-less. we've got keyboards and whatnot, so the pa mix can get kind of hairy and loud. the amp is definitely loud enough to cut through in clubs, so i've decided to just run it loud and let the vocals and keys run the pa.

I bump the amp down to "Tweed" mode and get the master around 2. That seems to work for most of my situations.

This is really simple.

Do what they ask during the sound check and play as loud as you feel when the show starts.

Theres nothing like a front of house jackass to ruin your tone.
Back in the day I would do my sound checks with a wireless unit from the back of the venue because I thought the sound guys were idiots and tone deaf. Many would place the mic right in front of the speaker cone !!!

Play your metal the way it is supposed to be. Loud and obnoxious...

Put it off center. You can get a different tone from using different speakers in the cab. The cone is where all of the high frequencies shoot out and IMO is not the ideal place for micing.

I agree.... The angle of the mic can make a difference as well. Also... I always preferref a shure57 over a 58 but that's old technology now I guess... but different mics make a difference as well... Also get a soundman who is also a guitar player ;)

Back