Question about your mid knob in ch.2 on 50 cal.+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
here are your settings
gain: 7 (out of 10)
Master: 2
Lead Master: 2
treb: your choice
bass: your choice
pres: your choice

question: tell me about your mid knob. does it have any effect on your tone when you turn it back and forth?

i brought my amp to a local mesa-authorized repair center. the dude called mesa and they told him that the mid knob SHOULD NOT WORK in channel 2.
mine used to work, until one day it... well, i've told this story before. i'm starting to get really pissed off with this amp and its already cost me $250 for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FIXED!!! seriously pissing me off. i'm $50 away from a Blackstar HT-5 with the money i've spent on this sh!t

The mid control has very little effect on these amps, especially on the lead channel. They're very much like the Mark series.

I set it the treble around 7 or 8, bass at 2, and mids wherever really... but usually kinda low, 3 or 4. Graphic in a V.

rgx612a said:
The mid control has very little effect on these amps, especially on the lead channel. They're very much like the Mark series.

I set it the treble around 7 or 8, bass at 2, and mids wherever really... but usually kinda low, 3 or 4. Graphic in a V.

this is really surprising, because my amp's mid knob had a TITANIC effect on the tone in ch.2
also, before the mid knob crapped out, the distortion texture was like a flame thrower. now its like a Zippo lighter

The Mid knob on my .50 Cal+ has an affect for sure, definitely much like the Mark series in terms of dialing in overall...I find my mid knob sounds best at 4, I may adjust it between 2-4 but usually at 4 or close to, I find it controls the note clarity/tightness if that helps/makes sense, it doesn't have a dramatic affect, like if you hold a note or chord and let it ring and adjust the knob from 0-10 and back you won't really hear any major change, it's more subtle but definitely noticeable if you change it from say 4 to 7 then jam a bit and go back, then try it around 0-2 and so forth...

Maybe you have a faulty tube that's causing your mid control to "seem" faulty, maybe it's lacking in it's mid frequency (due to a faulty tube) not really allowing your mid to have an affect, since frequencies may be missing - if THAT even makes sense lol.

You can never count out a faulty tube...

#2121313 said:
The Mid knob on my .50 Cal+ has an affect for sure, definitely much like the Mark series in terms of dialing in overall...I find my mid knob sounds best at 4, I may adjust it between 2-4 but usually at 4 or close to, I find it controls the note clarity/tightness if that helps/makes sense, it doesn't have a dramatic affect, like if you hold a note or chord and let it ring and adjust the knob from 0-10 and back you won't really hear any major change, it's more subtle but definitely noticeable if you change it from say 4 to 7 then jam a bit and go back, then try it around 0-2 and so forth...

Maybe you have a faulty tube that's causing your mid control to "seem" faulty, maybe it's lacking in it's mid frequency (due to a faulty tube) not really allowing your mid to have an affect, since frequencies may be missing - if THAT even makes sense lol.

You can never count out a faulty tube...

i've tried replacing the preamp tubes. and the tech said that if it was a tube issue then both channels would be affected.

The Mid control is the weakest, on every Mesa. It's not a flaw, they are all like that. It's not designed to be dramatic, like the graphic. As the manual for virtually every Mesa states, the Middle and Bass controls will only have a strong effect when the Treble is turned down.

then why did my amp's distortion texture completely die? it used to sound thick and sharp and saturated. now it sounds buzzy and thin and empty.
it sort of happened all of a sudden.
i turned it on one day and i just said "what the hell is this?" where did my distortion go?
i've changed all of the preamp tubes

If your distortion/gain has died, it ain't the mid control, the two problems may absolutely be related. Bottom line is something is wrong with your amp, and if your tech hasn't found it, maybe it's time to take it to a new amp tech. Of course maybe you want to sell it now...

scottcrud said:
If your distortion/gain has died, it ain't the mid control, the two problems may absolutely be related. Bottom line is something is wrong with your amp, and if your tech hasn't found it, maybe it's time to take it to a new amp tech. Of course maybe you want to sell it now...

i listened to your sound clips, and that's what my amp USED to sound like.
i'm going to take it to tech #4
here goes another $85+ on this ****. sonofabitch, i'm pissed off

Where do you live? If you're in Texas I'd urge you to take it or send it to Bill Ussery at Austin Tone Lab in Austin Texas. He's a Licensed Boogie tech, is friends with Mike Bedinelli and is a complete wizard when it comes to Boogies. The only other place I'd send my Boogies to is Mesa Boogie.

Back