question about triple rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decemberstar

Reaction score
ok hey what whats up sorry for this weird quetion ,i just bought a triple rectifier ...and now im hearing dual is better , is this true ,? if it is ,then is it cuz the triple is bad

not at all.

The dual and triple have the same features. The only exception is that the Triple is rated at 150 watts instead of 100 watts.

To some this is an advantage because they get more headroom (you can turn the volume up higher before you get distortion). This is good for the clean channel. It can also give a bit of a tighter sound, but it's nothing I've ever noticed (then again I've only played a Triple once).

However, some would find this extra headroom as a disadvantage because they have to turn the amp louder to get power tube saturation on the distortion channels.

Some people like to remove tubes from a Triple (as can be done in a Dual) to reduce the wattage so you get power tube saturation quicker. I don't personally agree with this because in a Triple reducing power means you cut impedance by 1/3, which does not exist on a speaker cabinet. On a Dual, removing tubes cuts power by 1/2, so you can easily plug into any cabinet regardless. Note that 50 watts = 3db of extra volume. It takes the human ear a full 10 decibels to notice a doubling of volume...Needless to say, 3db is miniscule and you won't really notice any change in volume with the extra 50 watts.

IF THE AMP SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU....KEEP IT! lol :D

Latest posts

Back