Question about the Power Switching and tone.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Release

Reaction score
New member here with a glorious new 5:50!

Since it's so new, I haven't had a chance to really crank it up with a drummer yet. I've been finding my sound and playing around with both the 5 and 50 watt settings and like both both of 'em depending on the song. The question I have...... if I find a sound that I really dig in the 5 watt mode, when I crank it up at full power, am I going to have to tweak the tone settings very much or is it going to be pretty close when the volume is up? Theres definitely a difference at bedroom levels, not a massive difference, but a noticeable one that I have to changes things slightly with I switch to the other power setting.

How much of a difference, on average, am I looking at here?

The 5 watt mode is inherently a bit fuzzier. It also breaks up a LOT sooner. Maybe a tad less preamp gain and more master. And it might seem bright by itself since there isn't as much bass response, but I'm sure if you had a bassist then the Express would sit cozily in the mix.

Cool. I was thinking more about when I switch it over to 50 watt mode and having it in a band setting though.

Are the tones going to be vaguely similar when I switch it over and get the 50 watt tubes cooking or is it still basically like 2 different amps?
It's hard to explain in words so bear with me! LOL!!

I have a 5:25 which is little different as its full power mode features "Dynawatt", which changes the feel at very high volume. Still you should think about 5 and 50 watt modes as two different amplifiers, becuase the circuit changes very significantly from one to the other. The difference between the modes becomes more apparent at high volume.

I love the 5 watt mode for the blues I play and can not get the same sound from the 25 watt mode. The tone I am talking about is clean mode with the gain around 10:00 and master around 2:00. Think Albert Collins. That tone really makes use of power tube clipping and is certainly a more extreme example.

Like JJ, I find that the 5 watt mode sounds like an entirely different amp than the 50 watt mode. Where the 50 watt mode is full and huge with a band, the 5 watt mode can get lost in the mix. Not because of a lack of volume, but because it doesn't have the punch and bass of the 50 watt mode. I love it at home or with a couple of friends. It's a good blues sound.

I have to admit that I have not tweaked the EQ much in the 5 watt mode because I like how I've set it for the 50 watt mode. The 5 watt mode might work better with the band with some tweaking.

It really is an awesome amp.

Release, or anyone w\ some insight, have you done any trials with the 2 power modes yet? 90% of my playing is @ home in 5 watt mode, accompanying loops I make w\ a keyboard. Every now and again tho, I will have a shot to play with some friends. I've had my 5:50 1x12 for a year now, and have finally gotten my tone knobs where I want them. I too am curious if the next jam session will find me adjusting my knobs when I kick up the power to 50 watts. Its easy enough to change them, but I'm definitely a "set & forget" kinda amp guy. I was taking a lot of pictures of my tone knobs as I was searching for my sound, so its always possible to use that as a reference when tweaking knobs. Aside from more bass, any HUGE difference between 5 watt and 50 watt sound? Hopefully just more volume and same tone!

It's not a huge difference. You might be fine, especially once there's a drummer and bass player. I think what works at home alone in 5 watt mode will be great with a band in 50 watt mode.

Great to hear Don! Ive been lurking and reading posts for about 6 months now, and I think you were the 1 who recommended taking photos of tone knobs to another poster. Great idea and I appreciate the contributions of this forum ALOT. Those 5 watt class A harmonics are so mellifluous, I've really grown to love this amp!

Latest posts

Back