question about early Roadsters and pop-noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringer

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm about to buy a second-hand Roadster head.

I read somewhere that the early Roadsters sound a bit different than the ones that come off the factory these days, described like "more bassy" .

Has anyone else experienced that?

About this chanel-swithing noise :
1. Does ALL the Roadsters have this?
2.If I try the amp, is it gonna come out every time? (I mean it would really suck, if it didn't do it in the shop , but would do at home after I has bought it..)
3.Is there any clip here ,where this pop-noise can be heard?

Thank you in advance, any input will be much appreciated! (sorry for my English)

6stringer

not all, but many roadsters no matter older or newer pop..... the roadster isnt the only mesa amp that does this either..... if you cycle through the channels while in standby when you turn the amp on, it solves this issue.... apparently its static built up in the relays... also i've heard some say that when your done cycling through the channels, turn off stanby in channel 3..... honestly at bands levels you dont hear it and its really only noticible going from clean to dirty.... for the amp you get its just a nuisance

Plus it doesnt happen that often. For me it only pops when going into channel 3 and usually only the first time or the first few times. After that it stops. Occasionally the 'tuner mute' button will pop when engaged but again it stops after the first time. Like jdurso said it isnt noticable at band levels. With the output volume at 1 (or 7 oclock) it is a little annoying but who cares about that when your only practicing anyway. Mine is in the 40s in terms of serial number so its quite an early one and i dont find it bassy. I have the bass around 10:30-12 on most settings and it gives a useable level of bass (and i generally like more mid/treble sounds). Just my opinion so it may in fact be more bassy than the newer ones.... still sounds **** good to me

justanotherguitarist said:
Mine is in the 40s in terms of serial number so its quite an early one and i dont find it bassy. I have the bass around 10:30-12 on most settings and it gives a useable level of bass (and i generally like more mid/treble sounds). Just my opinion so it may in fact be more bassy than the newer ones.... still sounds **** good to me

I think 6stringer was saying that the newer Roadsters were more bassy than the older Roadsters.

zeeman

jdurso said:
not all, but many roadsters no matter older or newer pop..... the roadster isnt the only mesa amp that does this either..... if you cycle through the channels while in standby when you turn the amp on, it solves this issue.... apparently its static built up in the relays... also i've heard some say that when your done cycling through the channels, turn off stanby in channel 3..... honestly at bands levels you dont hear it and its really only noticible going from clean to dirty.... for the amp you get its just a nuisance

I had heard it was static in the relays as well, but someone on here (I wish I could remember who) explained it to me as a function of the way Mesa's mute circuit works -- they designed it so that when the switching relay shuts off, its discharge current charges a capacitor and activates a transistor to short the signal to ground, which mutes the amp for a small fraction of a second. The pop happens the first time because the relay is going from off to on, and there is no discharge current available to activate the mute circuit.

thank you guys very much for your replies!

I'm thinking about buying one, since I don't need the extra features of the RK ll (only the el34s in the power amp section which should be cool) ,so why pay for them?

Have never tried any of the Recto-s before, but ,as I've read about this amp, its cleans are great, this would be a good choice .

jdurso said:

So, you mean, after cycling through the channels , I can eliminate the pop as long as I turn the standby on again?

or it can be there again when I'm going from clean to dirty?

If I'll be able to try one in a shop, will the pop issue appear immediately? (in other words, can I be fooled by it not poping in the shop, but poping at home after I buy it? :) )
you know, I'll use it in bedroom levels mostly...

Just remember this procedure every time you come out of Standby.

My Roadster popped horribly when I first got it new, but now she's nice and quiet between channels (no more complaints from the singer :lol: ).

The "STANDBY SHUFFLE"

1. If the amp is completly off turn on the main power (spongy or bold) and wait 45-60 sec. for the power tubes to warm up.

2. Cycle through all four channels twice (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4).

3. Select channel 3.

4. Take the amp out of Standby.

5. Enjoy your Roadster.

This will keep the popping to a minimum if not eliminate it altogether. I've been doing this for the past 10 months and my Roadster absolutly does not pop at band volume.

At low volumes it's going to pop once and awhile, and sometimes it can be quite loud and annoying compared to the volume you are playing at the time, sometimes.

Dom

domct203 said:
Just remember this procedure every time you come out of Standby.

My Roadster popped horribly when I first got it new, but now she's nice and quiet between channels (no more complaints from the singer :lol: ).

The "STANDBY SHUFFLE"

1. If the amp is completly off turn on the main power (spongy or bold) and wait 45-60 sec. for the power tubes to warm up.

2. Cycle through all four channels twice (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4).

3. Select channel 3.

4. Take the amp out of Standby.

5. Enjoy your Roadster.

This will keep the popping to a minimum if not eliminate it altogether. I've been doing this for the past 10 months and my Roadster absolutly does not pop at band volume.

At low volumes it's going to pop once and awhile, and sometimes it can be quite loud and annoying compared to the volume you are playing at the time, sometimes.

Dom

thats it in a nutshell..... as far as noticing it in a shop... well if you dont do the above mentioned, that show you whether that amp pops... not all do and its not only roadsters.... at the end of the day your getting one of the finest amps out there for under 2000.... it can give you just about any tone your looking for with some time and patience

thank you guys!!!!!!!

you helped a lot.

I'm really looking forward to play this amp.

Back