Question about an old mark head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petruccirocks02

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question about an amp down here that one of the local shops has. I asked them what model it is, but they have no clue. They gave me the serial number which is 18134. It is simul-class and has the graphic eq and has the power switch, standby switch, an eq in/eq auto switch, and a half power/full power switch. Do any of you guys know what model this would be? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Phil

Judging from the serial, it´s a Mark III. Probably a red stripe since the # pretty close to my Mark III.

It´s a very good amp. I love mine.

Bullen said:
Judging from the serial, it´s a Mark III. Probably a red stripe since the # pretty close to my Mark III.

Bullen, the Mark III's are capable of real high gain right? I'm thinking about jumping on it cuz its in real good condition and a good price, but I'm just curious if it can get that real tight John Petrucci type rhythm tone and smooth leads. Thanks.

-Phil

I fit has the half power/full power switch it's the Coliseum version.

Not exactly. It depends what he means by saying it has that switch. If it is located on the front, all it means is that it is a long chassis mark III, doesn't have to be a coliseum.
I know simulclasses usually say full/half power while regular ones say 100/60 watts. Not sure if that is the same all the time or from mark 2's to mark 3's.
I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.
If it has 6 power tubes it is a coliseum.

The half/full power switch is on the front. There's not pic of the back of the amp, so the only way for me to tell how many power tubes it has would be to call the store. Thanks for all the info guys. What's the diff. between the regular heads and the coliseum heads?

-Phil

petruccirocks02 said:
Bullen said:

Bullen, the Mark III's are capable of real high gain right? I'm thinking about jumping on it cuz its in real good condition and a good price, but I'm just curious if it can get that real tight John Petrucci type rhythm tone and smooth leads. Thanks.

-Phil

it sure can. However, a mark2c+ or mark4 will get you 100% of his tone because these are what he actually uses.

Its all good GTS. What's the difference between regular Mark III's and the Mark III Coliseum heads? Is one better than the other? Other than the power tube difference, how do they vary in sound? Thanks.

-Phil

psychodave said:
So did you get it yet?

Nope, didn't get it yet, I'm still pondering on it. I might go try it out first. Anyone have any good heavy settings suggestions that I could try? Thanks.

-Phil

Yes, try it out first to make sure everything is OK.

Yeah, my red stripe sounds pretty close to the IIC+. I did a A/B test about a year ago, the IIC+ was slightly smoother and had a bit warmer mids and slightly less "icepicky" highs. The mark III was slightly more buzzy and didn´t quite have the same harmonic content that the C+ had, but I was glad to find that my Mark III sounded pretty close. So you can get JP like sounds out if it very easily.

Mine is fully loaded though, Simul-Class, eq and reverb.

Try these settings for a JP-esque crunch:

Vol 1: 7.5-8 (sets the signal strengh for lead mode aswell. Set high gives more gain to the lead mode)
Tre: 7-8 pulled
Bass: 2
Mid: 3-5
Mast: as load as you can stand (try pulling the Deep out for more oomph!)
LD Dr: 7-8 (pulled turns on the lead mode)
LD Mast: as load as you like (pulled at lower volumes, gives more gain)
Pres: (on the back) try 0-3 for smooth tones

Eq:
80 - slightly higher than halfway between mid and top line under top line
230 - just over mid line
750 - just over low line (play around with this one a bit)
2200 - just over mid line
6600 - around mid line (a bit higher for Metallica type tones)

Hope this helps!

Bullen said:
Yes, try it out first to make sure everything is OK.

Yeah, my red stripe sounds pretty close to the IIC+. I did a A/B test about a year ago, the IIC+ was slightly smoother and had a bit warmer mids and slightly less "icepicky" highs. The mark III was slightly more buzzy and didn´t quite have the same harmonic content that the C+ had, but I was glad to find that my Mark III sounded pretty close. So you can get JP like sounds out if it very easily.

Mine is fully loaded though, Simul-Class, eq and reverb.

Try these settings for a JP-esque crunch:

Vol 1: 7.5-8 (sets the signal strengh for lead mode aswell. Set high gives more gain to the lead mode)
Tre: 7-8 pulled
Bass: 2
Mid: 3-5
Mast: as load as you can stand (try pulling the Deep out for more oomph!)
LD Dr: 7-8 (pulled turns on the lead mode)
LD Mast: as load as you like (pulled at lower volumes, gives more gain)
Pres: (on the back) try 0-3 for smooth tones

Eq:
80 - slightly higher than halfway between mid and top line under top line
230 - just over mid line
750 - just over low line (play around with this one a bit)
2200 - just over mid line
6600 - around mid line (a bit higher for Metallica type tones)

Hope this helps!

Thanks Bullen! I'm gonna go up there in the next few days and try it out. I plan on picking up an Ernie Ball Petrucci in the next few weeks, and I'd love to have another Mesa after selling my other old Mesa's that I had.

-Phil

Latest posts

Back