Quad: noise on channel 1, and not on channel 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc52

Reaction score
My new bought quad has some noise on channel 1, you can't hear it when you are playing but it is annoying me alot!

But there aren't any noise on channel 2, does anyone in here have an idea on what the problem might be?

Peter from Denmark (who is very happy with channel 2, and not do much with channel 1 :) )

most likely one of the preamp tubes. doe it do it in Lead or rhythm or both? have you tried changing the input tubes?

s-quad5.gif

Thank you for replying that fast :)

It is only in the lead on channel 1, does that mean that it is a tube that needs to be replaced?

I have never changed tubes before, can you give me a description how to?

But I have to say that I am very happe with the sound of it... Just the heavy sound I was looking for! :D

Hello and congrats on the Quad pre!

Replacing a tube is very easy! First. Turn off/unplug the Preamp. To replace a tube on the Quad you need to take the top off, so you will need to take it out of the rack. There are several screws on the top and left/right sides of the unit. Once you removed the screws carefully pull the top off. There is a reverb tank attached to the top. You can remove the wires from the tank to make working inside a bit easier, or It can just be put off to the side of the Quad.

**When working inside be careful of the big blue things! touching one of these will HURT and/or possibly cause serious injury!**

Now removing a tube. Grab the top of the tube and gently pull up while rocking the tube back and fourth (Or use a small circular motion) until it's free. Installing the tube is the same. Grab the top of the tube, line the pins up to the socket and gently push in with a back and fourth (Or circular motion) until it's seated.

If your a visual learner...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C78niYzjLhU

Hope that helps. :)

It helped alot :)

But should I just switch it with a tube on channel 2 lead? to see if it is broke?

yup that would be the way to start. if you have any other :"known good" tubes to try that would be good as well. I would recommend that you mark or number the tubes before you switch them around too much, that way you dont get then confused.

Latest posts

Back