Purchase Decision

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudy

Reaction score
I like very much Santana's sound and aquired a PRS Santana III guitar. The next step is now the aquisition of a Messa Power Amp. Here starts my problem: What Mesa Power Amp. (besides the Legendary Mark I) would be capable to reproduce that Santana's tone but also to offer a much broader spectrum of tones than Mark I? Would be King Road the only choice since it uses the same tubes as Mark I? I didn't get the chance to put to tests any MESA, but I am just gathering firstly theoretical information from those of you who know and kindly want to share, before playing one myself.
My other question is:" If it would be to choose between a Road King Head and a combination of TriAxis Preamp with a 2:One Hundred or 2:Fifty Power Amp, what would be in the genereal oppinion the better(if not the best) choice? I would appreciate any input. Thks!

My recommendation is practise your buns off and learn smooth silky vibrato. Santana has used different guitars over the years and I've heard those who claim to have the Santana tone gear wise but can't come close playing wise.

goneloco said:
road king baby
turn your mids way up and you got santana tone

I read a Guitar Mag article on Santana. He was interviewed about his tone, sound, and gear. He said, even if someone buys every single piece of equipment I use, they still won't sound like me. My sound comes from here (and points to his chest).
Words from the wise...

Personally (probably because I have one) I think a Road King Combo would be the best choice. I have been able to duplicate any Boogie tone I've heard, even in side by side comparisons, as well as all the other amps by other manufacturers...the head would be nice too, but I just don't like having a big half stack to lug around.

RB

Got to agree it's in the fingers. Give Santana a 200.00 Squire Strat and a 50.00 solid state amp and he will still sound like Santatna.

Saying that you can get his fluid sustain in the Lonestars no problem in channel 2 with the Drive kicked in!!!

brianf

I second the Lonestar. With the drive on theres plenty of old Boogie flavor going on.

On the other hand a MKIV will do also but gets nastier if you want it.

Latest posts

Back