Pulling PRE-AMP tubes in a Studio .22 - Bad Idea? Tone Good!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.parker

Reaction score
Hello everyone on the board *waves*, I'm sort of new here, but sort of not.

I've been reading the forum for a few years now since I bought my .22, but i've never joined because
i've never really had anything to contribute.

Untill now.

No doubt the Post's subject will have some people laughing at the n00b, but.............
In a .22 the first thing your guitar signal hits in the amp is V2, the second pre-amp valve from the right
as you look from the back. The V1 valve is only used on the lead channel, which cascades through V2,
from what I can gather from the schematic.

I found I could never get the combination of an on the edge of breakup clean sound, with a just pushed lead
sound on my .22. It wasn't there with the stock tubes (pushed cleans - METAL LEAD), lower gain V1 + V2
(cleans weren't pushed enough - Lead was better), I even had the tech at the studio where I work mod the
amp to include a lead Vol AND gain pot on the back, this combined with some lower gain V1 + V2 tubes was
the best so far, but it still wasn't perfect.

To cut a long story short, I faffed around and nearly sold it cos it was noisy, the reverb was cr*p and
I wasn't quite happy with the tone UNTIL TODAY!

I pulled V1 and V4 to see what would happen to the noise floor, this improved greatly and I was pleased.
My biggest surprise came when I accidently hit the channel switch and found that the lead channel still worked,
allbeit, quieter than the clean channel now, but with EXACTLY the same tone.

And with no one in the studio at the moment, I took it down to the live room and opened it up, Vol on 10
Master on 10, Lead Vol + Gain on 10. (I found sounded best dimed, reducing the master kept the same
general sound going, but it lacked the balls)

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOW

I nearly wet myself. This was it. Using the "lead" channel for rhythm now as is is slightly attenuated without
a tube in it, it has the perfect pushed clean sound. Switching to the Rhythm channel and the amp wails a perfect
amp on 10 about to die lead sound, perfect for raunchy blues (not that i'm any good at THAT, but ho hum).

So what I was wondering was.....

1) Is pulling these tubes safe for the amp?
2) Has anyone else tried this in the past?
3) If not... why not! The sound is unbelieveable

I used a Strat straight in, no FX... amp set as so.....

Volume = 10
Master = 10
*Lead Gain = 10
*Lead Vol = 10
Treble = 0
Bass = 0
Middle =10
Reverb = 0
Presence = 10

Any comments?
Warm Regards - Chris P [/b]

I can not help you with your question but would love to know the answer as well.

I have been rolling some tubes in my 22+ and man it does sound better!
This is what I have in it now
V-1=161 code mullard
V-2=short greyplate-square getter jhs sylvania I think a 1956?
V-3=165 delta 74 holland
V-4=long greyplate round getter ge I think a 1964?
V-5=long greyplate ken-rad
I have a few rca and other tubes but dont have the money to buy any more so I'll have to swap around what I have and see what works best

For power tubes I just tried some japan made motorola el-84s but cant check bais so I only tried them at low to mid volume did have jj and ruby el84s
All these tubes are used from local junk sales to ebay so I cant say how they test for sure
I also have a eminence gb-12 speaker that I like better that the stock one

Hope your question gets a answer sorry I cant help!!

Latest posts

Back