PRS vs. Carvin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancid

Reaction score
hey!

I've been looking to buy a new guitar to aid my Mesa Rectifier in creating shred-tastical metal awesomeness. Currently, im debating between these two guitars:

PRS Swamp Ash Special

Carvin DC400

What are the benefits and advantages of that Carvin over that specific PRS. What im looking for in a new guitar is mainly versatility. Versatility in the what it can play, versatility of the fretboard and also what would sound best through my Mesa Dual Rec (Solo Head). Before I go to the stores and try to play these guitars, i want to ask people's opinions, and possibly get recommendations.

I also want to know which one will have the best finish that will stay looking as good as the day I get it. Ofc the finish/color is secondary to versatility. ;)

The Carvin Militia will probably start coming out in force talking about price to quality ratio....but I say PRS all the way.

+1. PRS is one of the best made guitars around, at any price. If you want total versatility, get a Custom 24 or a 513. They can do pretty much any sound. If you like bolties, grab a CE (but unlike any bolt-on you've ever played, trust me!).

A Carvin C66 in ash is going to sound a whole lot closer to a Swamp Ash Special. I like Carvins but you're talking about two VERY different guitars.

Kaz said:
+1. PRS is one of the best made guitars around, at any price. If you want total versatility, get a Custom 24 or a 513. They can do pretty much any sound. If you like bolties, grab a CE (but unlike any bolt-on you've ever played, trust me!).

Loads of makers are making bolt on guitars that crush the CE series...hell there are tons of boutique makers that kill PRS in every way. BUT in response to the question asked I think PRS is the better choice.

Carvin's prices have been creeping up too. I dont think they are THAT great a deal anymore....especially since a Carvin that costs in and around 2K new will sell on the used market for about half that. Not a wise instrument to invest in if you think you may ever sell.

my dc200K, that i bought in 1984, is still my main axe, even after building TWO custom axes, both of which are superlative guitars to a PRS.

my luthier owns a PRS custom 22.

it's a real nice guitar.

is it nicer than my old Carvin?

yes.

how much did he pay for it?

$2600.

how much did i pay for my Carvin DC200k in 1984?

$780.

you can do the math.

now, the question is, is his PRS THAT MUCH NICER than my carvin?

hell no.

and, does it sound better?

nope.

I don't really think the Swamp Ash Special is going to be your best pick for a metal guitar. The pickups in it used to be McCarty pickups which are already semi-low output vintage style pickups, but now the SAS is using its own pickup which is even lower output than that. Here's a quote from Shawn at PRS:

Shawn@PRS said:
Up until 2007, the Swamp Ash Special used McCarty pickups, but in 2007 we switched to a new set of Pups for this model. The new Swamp Ash pickups have a slightly lower output than the McCarty pups and are a bit clearer sounding.

I'd recommend a Custom 24 or a Tremonti for metal, as those two offer the highest output pickups that PRS makes. The #7s probably aren't bad either, they are the ones used in most of the Singlecut models (I would guess Tremonti used to use these before he got his sig model but I'm not sure).

I don't have enough experience with the Carvin to compare but the Custom 24 and Tremonti both have a big footprint across metal bands.

PRS for metal awesomeness = Alder CE, which they just started making again, or you have to go find an old pre '95 one. The HFS pickup in the 24 fretters is more than hot enough for metal, but the 5 way rotary gives you a ton of versatility. PRS CE-24's are my favorite guitars.

I also have used alot of Carvin's, which also work very well for what you want. The PRS guitars are more comfortable for me and look better than the Carvin DC's, but I actually like the control layout on the DC's better, with the mini toggles for coil taps. I've never tried the DC400.

Either one will be fine for what you want. If you buy new, the PRS will hold it's resale value much better, but of course will cost you more in the first place.

The PRS tremolo is way better than the Wilkenson on Carvins, but you could get a floyd on the carvin. Carvin is only available direct from Carvin, so unless you find a used one somewhere you arn't going to be able to play one first.

wouldn't something like the CT series, be similar to the basic PRS 24?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=ct6

for metal i would say a CE over a custom, the maple neck makes it sound much more agressive. i always passed the CE by thinking it was low quality compared to a custom, then i got over it one day and took one off the wall and was blown away. plus you can get em used on ebay for 1000-1200 usually. other than that, there is the SC 250 that sounds awesome for heavy stuff, and the tremonti adds a trem to the 250 pretty much, but those are only 22 fretters

You just can't go wrong with that neck-thru active pickup Carvin. The neck alone will absolutely blow you away! I have an SC90 and it is superb!

i always consider the resale value-I had a carvin(lovvved it..loved the neck....)but...I started jonesin' for another LP-sold the Carvin and it wasnt pretty-no biggy if you are gojng to keep it,but ....always something to think about these days....

PRS all the way. Better built, better sounding, better resale value.

i've played the PRS models...

and i've played the Carvins, several models, and own one as well.

theres no way, that you can say that the PRS is better made than the carvins, as long as you're comparing similar models/build.

the closest PRS that matches the build quality/playability/sound of my DC200K, is a $2700 PRS model.

and i only paid $750 for mine, back in the day.

don't buy into the hype.

just get what you like, but play it...... don't base it on opinions.

I dont buy into the hype for EITHER brand...I think t hey are both overrated.

I stand by my opinion that PRS is far superior.

Depends on the PRS. Depends on the Carvin.

I've played a bunch of Carvins that I like (hate their pickups, though).
I've played mostly PRSs that I hate (dig their pickups, though).

For my cash, I'd go Carvin. Cash being no object, custom shop PRS.

But I'd buy another Suhr before either one ;)

For the money you'd be paying for the PRS you also have other options (custom builders).
I love my Carvin DC727, it's a great guitar, but PRS is in another league.
If the the cost is not an Issue I say go PRS.
My Carvin with my Ibanez 7620 (both have BareKnuckle pickups in them
and both have raw oiled necks) Both smoking players. :shock:
DSCN1653.jpg

In general, I vote for PRS, but I'm not a fan of the Swamp Ash Special. I've owned CE's, Custom 24's, SingleCuts, Swamp Ash Specials. The SAS is probably my least favorite of any bolt-on I've ever owned. It just lacked something special, very flat sounding.

For the record I'm exclusively playing Music Man guitars now, after having owned about 15 different PRS, custom shop Fenders, custom shop Gibsons. Music Man just really works for me. I know there are many better bolt-on's out there (ie. Anderson, Suhr, James Tyler) but Music Man has a pretty good thing going.

Carvin has been building CNC machined guitars for a long time. I'm not a huge fan of their custom pickups but the build quality has always been consistent. The tops that I see on some Carvins rival that of PRS guitars costing twice to three times as much. PRS is a little new to the CNC game.

That being said, the PRS design is tough to beat. The PRS tremolo is one of the best factory tremolos in the business. The pickups are (in my opinion) much better in PRS guitars. From alnico vintage to Dragon bass to HFS's they offer a great pickup for most needs. Where prs has been lacking lately is tuner quality(vintage style), book-matched maple tops that don't match and the awful neck heel(which allows for CNC machining).

I would be careful about using super hot pickups with the Dual Rectifier. Randall and Doug West use Tom Anderson guitars to test all of their products and a balanced focused pick up is the best way to keep all of the gain and aggression of the Solo head under control.

If money is not an option than I would say a used, maple neck prs with hfs or dragon bass pickups would be an excellent choice for metal. They have a beautiful carved top and natural binding is awesome. I also happen to like the wide fat profile. I don't believe the swamp ash special would really sound metal-riffic.

Just remember that they don't offer Ebony like Carvin or custom neck carves or custom tuners or tone woods...

Jeez just get a used Carvin and replace the pickups... Question answered. HA HA HA

Latest posts

Back