Pros Of Two Heads

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliensExist4

Reaction score
Hi,
A few months ago I was heavily researching racks and eventually came to the decision that as of now I do not need one and do not totally think it's for me. I was originally thinking of the 2:100 or 2:90 with the Triaxis. I decided to keep my 2ch. Trip. Rect. which I fell in love with all over again and just wanted to know what are the advantages of running two heads through my Mesa 4x12 and 2x12's? I was thinking of getting a Marshall Head but would I be able to mix the Mesa and Marshall tones through both cabs or would one head go to 1 cab and the 2nd head go to the other? Also, what would I need to make this set-up work? Any info would be great. Thanks

- Patrick

Hi there,what cabs are ya using????

I would run the mesa triple to a 4x12" for that low end thump which the rec is so good at and the Marshall through the 2x12"(2 of them you have?)

I hate Marshalls,just my opinion and if I wanted that tone,which I would never really want I would get a Mesa Stilleto series amp,Im just a massive Boogie fan,if Marshall is your thang then go for it,but I would personally try a Stilleto and I would definatly run the Marshall through the 2x12"s and keep the Boogie running with a 4x12",the result will be a massive tonal monster waiting to eat anything that moves

My 2 cents,or pennies

Euan

Ohhh I would aslo check the rack situation,the triaxis is a great piece of kit,great tones and very very versitile,the 2:90 or 2:100 will keep you powered up for the rest of your life,sweet power amps!!!

Im not much of a rack guy I like having the amp head straight in front of me,its kindda like Oram analogue desk or protools,do you need all the control at your fingertips or can you visualise where you are goin on the computer screen,most can do both but I do better having it all at my fingertips

The advantage of rack gear is you can have all kinds of processors and they can all be assigned to one pedal via MIDI or another form of timecode :)

Ya If I were to use two heads I'm playing it through my Mesa 4x12's and Mesa 2x12's. What are the pros of having two heads? Is there any way to have both heads come out of both cabs. For example: The Mesa running through both the 4x12's and 2x12's and then with an aby box switch over to the Marshall head which would run through the 4x12's and 2x12's? Can this be done.

- Patrick

trustee: I think Tom DeLonge uses a rack set-up. Well I'm also thinking a Hughes and Kettner instead of the Marshall. I just want to see my options and what I could do.

- Patrick

Pat - Tom's setup in Blink was very similar to what you described. He used 3 4x12 Recto Cabs with 1 2x12 Recto on top of each. All were closed back - 4x12s had V30s in them and the 2x12 had greenbacks. This was powered by a Triple Rectifier (dirty) and JCM 900 (clean) switched by a whirlwind a/b selector. Later down the road he changed to an all rack system with the Triaxis and JMP.

AliensExist4 said:
Ok. Well I just want to know why some people chose using 2 heads or multiple heads over rack units. Thanks

- Patrick

A rack unit does not take the place of two or multiple amplifier heads? Your question might have validity if you asked why people opt for multiple heads over just one, but then again, is'nt that kind of obvious?

The bottleneck in your other question would be the Rectifier 212 cab, as it is not stereo! So you cannot run two heads simultaneously through it!

You can run two heads into the Rectifier 412, but I would'nt put a Triple up against just one side (212's) in your cab!

You could, as mentioned above, split the heads into they're own cabs, playing simultaneously with either a stereo effect, or an AB/Y switch!

You could still retain both cabs, and both heads, switching between them, but not run them simultaneously!

And finally, I'd look into the products of Tonebone for switching options/devices!

jbird: Thanks for the info. Ya I guess my best bet for me if I were to use 2 heads would just to use them separately.

- Patrick

trustee said:
Pat - Tom's setup in Blink was very similar to what you described. He used 3 4x12 Recto Cabs with 1 2x12 Recto on top of each. All were closed back - 4x12s had V30s in them and the 2x12 had greenbacks. This was powered by a Triple Rectifier (dirty) and JCM 900 (clean) switched by a whirlwind a/b selector. Later down the road he changed to an all rack system with the Triaxis and JMP.

Why do you know so much about Tom Delonge's setup? :shock:

AliensExist4 said:
Hi,
A few months ago I was heavily researching racks and eventually came to the decision that as of now I do not need one and do not totally think it's for me. I was originally thinking of the 2:100 or 2:90 with the Triaxis. I decided to keep my 2ch. Trip. Rect. which I fell in love with all over again and just wanted to know what are the advantages of running two heads through my Mesa 4x12 and 2x12's? I was thinking of getting a Marshall Head but would I be able to mix the Mesa and Marshall tones through both cabs or would one head go to 1 cab and the 2nd head go to the other? Also, what would I need to make this set-up work? Any info would be great. Thanks

- Patrick

I use a RK head and a Stiletto Deuce head with one 4X12 cab . I do it with the Headbone VT switcher . Check it out at www.tonebone.com

AliensExist4 said:
Ya If I were to use two heads I'm playing it through my Mesa 4x12's and Mesa 2x12's. What are the pros of having two heads? Is there any way to have both heads come out of both cabs. For example: The Mesa running through both the 4x12's and 2x12's and then with an aby box switch over to the Marshall head which would run through the 4x12's and 2x12's? Can this be done.

- Patrick

Pros: sounds KILLER, Cons: more **** to carry

Best bet is to run each head into its own cab and use an aby or a stereo pedal (chorus/flange/whatever) to split the guitar signal. Run the mighty Triple into the 4x12 and a brighter amp (Stiletto?) into the 2x12.

Now if you're really in love w/ the Triple, and on the fence between head or rack (and ready to spend some money)... run the Triple completely dry into a 4x12, run it's Slave Out to an EQ and whatever stereo FX you want to a 2:90 or 2:100 to 2 more cabs. It doesn't get any better than this. Of course now we're talking 3 mic's, your soundman will hate you, your spine will hate you, your wallet will be empty......but **** it sounds GOOD.

eltrain858 said:
trustee said:

Why do you know so much about Tom Delonge's setup? :shock:

haha SHHHHHHHHHHHHH. im a 12 yr old blink fan in secret. :twisted:

AliensExist4 said:
Anyone have any pics of their 2 head set-ups and how you like it? Thanks

- Patrick

Amps.jpg

Enjoy it, but it is very loud!

ashjn: How do you like using 2 heads. Do you use both 2x12's for 1 head then switch between them?

trustee: Ya I used to be a blink fan but that doesn't mean I want Tom's set-up ha.

- Patrick

AliensExist4 said:
ashjn: How do you like using 2 heads. Do you use both 2x12's for 1 head then switch between them?

trustee: Ya I used to be a blink fan but that doesn't mean I want Tom's set-up ha.

- Patrick

I would like that set up, but as of now I am running each head into its own 2x12 and playing both at the same time. You can get some really cool tones by mixing 2 heads that are otherwise impossible. I like the F-100 dirty mixed with Stiletto clean

"Pros Of Two Heads"

Pros: You can think with one and screw with the other

Cons: The little one will get you in trouble

I use a Mesa Single Rec Solo 50 and an Orange RV50 into a Road King 4x12 cab. The Recto gets the 2 V30's and the RV50 gets the 2 C90's.

It's a killer rig ready for any kind of music.

I have another dual rig as well: a Fender Pro Jr 1x10 combo and a modded Laney LC15 1x10 combo. This rig, in my opinion, is also the bomb. Sometimes I use the internal 10" speakers and sometimes I run them through the Road King cab.

With either rig I use a radial switchbone which lets me run both amps or switch between.

The main advantage for me in using dual amps over one channel switching amp is the ability to run them at the same time. I get great sounds from either of the rigs I listed above, and no one else sounds like me.....and that's good.

Back