Pros and Cons about the Roadking?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpoon

Reaction score
Tell me the good and the bad about the Roadking. Also, how does it compare to the Mark IV?

fpoon said:
Tell me the good and the bad about the Roadking. Also, how does it compare to the Mark IV?

Good = Progressive linkage, Speaker cab selection, 2 loops.
Bad = They weigh a ton and Pricey.

Won't do a markIV lead tone or high gain rythmn, it's just a different animal. The RKII is great if you like Lonestar cleans, Marshallesque 70's Rock, and the Vintage/Modern Recto slam.

Thanks man, so what kind of tones does the Roadking make. Are we talking about an AC/DC kind of crunch? Can you give me some more info?

anything apart from MK series liquid leads,lol

it will do crunch,chugga chug,fenderesque cleans(new RKII v2),Just alot of tones

nothing like your MKIV

thats the reason Im gettin a MKIV aswell as my Recto

fpoon said:
Thanks man, so what kind of tones does the Roadking make. Are we talking about an AC/DC kind of crunch? Can you give me some more info?

I selected two El34's in the progressive linkage in brit and with a little tweaking (the 75 Les Paul custom I was using wasn't hurting either) i got a very decent AC/DC crunch, not exact but passing.

I have a limited exposure with the RK2, but with the price tag of the Roadking I advise you try one before you buy it. May take a little driving but it would be worth your time I think. I was thinking about one but ruled it out.

But I don't play out, I'm not very good, and don't really plan on using anything but Vintage/Modern, MarkIV clean/MarkIV (Although...that older MXIII...) lead for Metallica-like stuff. The cleans on Sanitarium are all I need!

This question comes up a lot. I even posted one! Look through some of the old post and look for replies with RK in the sig. Drop them a PM.

Good luck!

hey man you said you dont play out,you arent that good

i say your probably better than you think,everyone is self critical,those who arent will always fail becuase they dont see the need to practise cause they arealready good

get yourself out there and jam with folk it really does make you a better player

one of the most valuable things Ive heard was"get out there and play with people that are better than you,you learn alot that way" that was by a certain Mr Petrucci

I mean sit in an practise but get out there and kill some folk with that boogie,I never used to play with people cuase I thought they were all better,Now I can smoke them,they can smoke me in certain areas,its a great learning tool!!!!

listen to me Im only 18,lol

I own both of these amps, so hopefully my info will help. The RKII is definitely an awesome amp. The cleans are astounding, low gain rhythm sounds are perfect, and ch.3 and 4 sound great. One thing you should know about the RKII and indeed all rectos in general, is that they tend to "growl", when compared to a MKIV, or any amp with a very tight, focused gain signal. Rectos have this huge, sagging bottom end and a massive, complex mid-range voicing that makes it sound like there's a fuckin' monster inside your cab that's screaming at the top of his lungs. It just has to be heard to be believed, you can't really describe it. It just sounds like total destruction. The MKIV is huge sounding, but in a different way. Everything about this amp is much more focused and tight, especially the bottom end. It has a sizzling top end that makes everything sound like it's on fire. There isn't really any mid-range growl going on here at all. I'm sure you could dial it in, but it's not what the MKIV is for, and the recto does it better, anyway. The tracking on the MKIV is so precise that when you play fast, it almost sounds like the amp is playing ahead of you.

If you were to compare these amps to fighters (don't ask haha), I would say the RKII is someone who just comes in and smashes the hell out of everything with no rhyme or reason to its methods, where as the MKIV is very precise, and hits where it hurts.

That's why I play through both! Having both of these bitches cranked up is sonic bliss :twisted:

That was actually a great explanation. I especially liked the fighting comparison :p Thanks man.

fpoon said:
That was actually a great explanation. I especially liked the fighting comparison :p Thanks man.

I have both the Roadking and the MKIV and I agree with the above description too + it was funny! :D

I also agree with the above statement,take it from a guy who actually owns both the amps,I have played both them at great length but dont actually own them so his view will probably be the best

Latest posts

Back