Tell me about the TC100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Lamury

Reaction score
I'm wandering about the triple crown amps specifically the 100 watt head. I currently have a Mark V it is the only Mesa amp I own for reference does the triple crown have more gain than the Mark V? Pros? Cons? Thanks for the feedback.

I love my TC-100. I have had 2 TC-50s and loved those also. It’s weird, I didn’t like the EL34s in the TC-50, i preferred 6L6s in them but with the TC-100, I love the EL34s and I run it in the 50 watt mode. Compared to the Mark V, they are nothing alike. Which is great because it makes it worth owning both. And yes, the TC-100 has more gain. In fact, Mesa has said it has the most gain of any of its amps.

one thing I have found that I can’t get caught up in is switching between them trying to get them to sound similar or comparing the sound. They are too dissimilar. You ears will adjust to one of them and the other will sound like trash. You can do that with the Badlander and Triple Crown series, they have similar enough sonic footprint. Comparing the Mark V and JP-2C work for the same reason.

The TC-100 is my favorite amp.

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_9838.jpeg

one thing I have found that I can’t get caught up in is switching between them trying to get them to sound similar or comparing the sound. They are too dissimilar. You ears will adjust to one of them and the other will sound like trash. You can do that with the Badlander and Triple Crown series, they have similar enough sonic footprint. Comparing the Mark V and JP-2C work for the same reason.

You nailed it perfectly. I found that to be more true when going between the Mark V90 and the TC100. The TC tone grew on me (would say the same for the Royal Atlantic) to that point I find other amps to sound fizzy. More so at reduced master volume settings.

One has to keep in mind that the Triple Crown is more of a British Voiced amp. The Mark V in general is not but has some similar traits on CH2 in crunch. I can only relate to the Mark V90 I have which seems off to the norm of the other one's I have tried after I got mine.

Pros:
  • The TC100 is much tighter than a Mark amp and is a good candidate for extended range instruments like a 7 string. I actually found the Mark V90 does a decent job with that too. Edge voice on CH2 actually made sense with the 7 string vs standard tuning on a 6.
  • Silent switching between channels. No pops, or oddities to mention.
  • Strobe mute is quick responding and there appears to be no reverb wash when changing channels.
  • Multi-soak attenuator can allow for lower output volume.
  • Midi control: This also includes the foot switch control as it is midi based. No more ground issues with the footswitch cable or other related issues as I have had with the Mark V90.
  • You can link another TC using midi cable and make use with just one foot switch. Awesome feature if you are into running a stereo setup with two amps. I do this with the TC100 and TC50.
  • Clean channel is one of the best features once you figure it out. Drop the bass as it is low end dominant. Clean on drive setting is awesome for different styles of music.
  • No tone suck with the FX loop, TC has proper impedance and does not overdrive buffers of effects units.
  • You do not need to run it loud to make full use of the amp. Sounds great at 100W with low volume settings.

Cons:
  • not as many flavors to set up as you would get with the Mark V or say Mark VII.
  • A bit different in setup familiarity when comparing a Mark amp.
  • Gain control and channel volume are too dependent on each other. Unlike its predecessor Royal Atlantic, the TC tends to lose composure when trying a lower gain. Need to increase the channel volume when dropping gain control.
  • Preamp is not tunable. Makes no difference when trying other 12AX7 tubes. It will always sound the same. Mark V90 is one that takes well to preamp tubes of different plate structures in the same 12AX7 family. Not sure if you ever dove into that aspect with the V90. Not sure about the other Mark V models.
  • FX loop is not switchable. No means to bypass when using the FX loop as that circuit is always active.
  • Dynamics. It is not all that bad but found the TC series to retain clip when I drop the guitar volume. If I want to clean it up, have to change to another channel. This is a feature I desire with the Mark, Recto and even the Royal Atlantic (model before the Triple Crown). I can run moderate gain on lead or red channel (hi gain) but dial back on the guitar volume and get an alternate clean sound without too much volume loss. If you are an expressionist type of player, the Badlander 100w is a better choice. The BAD sort of fall in between the JP2C and the Triple Crown. A bit closer to the JP2C character

There is one trick that I loved with the TC100. Use of a GEQ in the FX loop. That broadened the tonal pallet of the TC amp. It was more responsive with the TC100 vs the TC50. I still have both.

I can say for a fact the TC100 complements the JP2C very well. I have often run them together with an isolated signal splitter. Never tried it with the Mark V90 though.

I will admit, the TC100 is a fun amp in all respects. TC-50 is not that far from the bench either.

I may come off as negative at times. Not trying to step on anyone's likes or desires. I just have other preferences when it comes to the Dynamics of the amp in question.

There was a fix for that as it involved the 12AT7 (V5) which is the FX send/return preamp tube. I have a pre-ordered release of the TC100, very low serial number (less than 50). At the time, Mesa was using a Chinese 12AT7 tube in the FX send/return position. I never bothered to try other 12AT7 tubes that are available. To my amazement, that one tube made a world of difference in dynamics after I replaced it with one of better quality.

I understand that Mesa is now using a Tung Sol 12AT7 in the V5 position. Not sure what to expect moving forward. The saving grace is that there are plenty of JAN/Phillips 12AT7 tubes available. They have a very musical characteristic to them. I am now using that in the TC100 V5 position in place of the Chinese 12AT7 that Mesa had used for several years. I should pull one of the Tung Sol 12AT7 from my Mesa TT800 bass amp and see how it compares.

I can only speak for the TC-50. Yeah, the TC-50 has higher gain on channel 3 than the Mark, at least to my ears (doesn’t matter EL34s or 6L6). I like the Mark V cleans and crunch better. The channel 3 is more focused on the V but smoother, less harsh on the TC-50. The TC-50 seems to have a wider spectrum on channel 3, maybe more recto like (wall os sound-ish).

Channel 2 on the TC is usable but is ‘thinner’, more upper mods/high heavy than the channel 2 options on the Mark V.

I have planned on selling the TC-50 for several years now..but I can’t let it go. It is a nice amp that adds different tones than the Mark V.

Latest posts

Back