Problems with the Mark V so far?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espmaster1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just curious what problems you guys have encountered with the amp, more specifically the head. I'm ordering one soon and I wanted to know what I may expect, and if they have a factory warranty that covers those repairs and how that works for those who have experienced it. Thanks!

you are covered under warranty for five years and its tranferrable if you sell it . You can call Mesa at 707 778 6565 Mon - Thurs, PT . The artist relations guys will take care of you .

Very reliable, gets daily use for an hour or 3. Spent most of the time tweaking it instead of playing for the first month.

I love it. My wife is the one that has a problem with it.... :lol:

Only problem I have had is that this amp is too awesome! Seriously though, mine has been trouble free for about a year now(since I got it!). The warranty is the best, buy with confidence as Mesa has your back!

The only serious issues I have had with my head are that I cannot play it often enough or as loud as I would like to. Other than that, no problems after 5 months of daily use.

Beein gigging onced or twice a week since may/2009. No issues whatsoever. Now using EL-34s. There were a few cases of labels rubbing off in the early units. Some rare cases of switchboard connectors problems. As mentionned by others, with a 5 year waranty, there is nothing to worry really.

the only problem i had with mine is that this amp is so addictive!!!!! :mrgreen:

seriously, the only problem with mine was the footswitch cable. mesa sent me a new cable....

I use a cheap little Peavey for bedroom practice and the V for gigs and band practice. On average right now it gets 3-6 hours a week because gigs haven't started yet.

But the only problem I've had is my footswitch cutting out. I just have to make sure the cable is very secure and for some reason, tap the EQ button on the footswitch when it first turns on and it's good to go.

All in all, I love the amp and this is the first time I haven't gas'd for another amp after having a new one for 6 months or more.

Mine has been in for service once - not because there was something wrong with it but rather just to make sure that nothing was damaged when an output tube failed. One of the 6L6's went into runaway, red-plated, and died a horrible death. The Mark V took it with grace - no damage whatsoever. Tubes fail, it's just a fact of life. It's nice that the amp took the tubes meltdown without burning a grid or screed resistor (or worse).

Mine was originally purchased in May or 2009, then I purchased it used from the original owner in October 2009. It has not failed in any way after many, many hours of use. I still have 4 years on the transferable warranty should something go wrong though I'm expecting it will hold up just fine.

I bought my mark last august or september. I had a power tube go out right away, but has been rock solid since.

fr0sty said:
I bought my mark last august or september. I had a power tube go out right away, but has been rock solid since.

I´ve been gigging heavily with my Mark V head since last August (flightcase transport only). Not a single problem, original tubes, couldn´t be happier :D

I had a bad rectifier tube due to shipping, but no issues since it was replaced (almost a year now).

Mine head has a pretty major problem in Channel 2 only - the reverb, graphic, and fx loop are non-functional. Only had it a week, so swapping out for a new one this weekend. Can't wait to hear ch2 in all it's glory - amazing amp.

Chewy said:
Mine head has a pretty major problem in Channel 2 only - the reverb, graphic, and fx loop are non-functional. Only had it a week, so swapping out for a new one this weekend. Can't wait to hear ch2 in all it's glory - amazing amp.

Check out my settings for the Mark I .... in that thread! Just ridiculous tone....

Actually I am having problems with my second Mark V head
Been a tube amp player for many years and a boogie player for 10 years, dual rec, maverick, I am on my second Mark V head. I am not discouraged it is a great amp and company but it seems the second one is malfunctioning too. The first Mark V I bought (serial number in the 1600's) had the 3rd channel just stop working. Only thin low volume sound would come out of the 3rd channel. SO the store just gave me another. The second Mark V (serial # 2600's) I was using the solo button on the footswitch last night for the first time and intermittently when I press the solo button all three channels turn off. This may be a cable or something I don't know. Yes I went through trouble shooting and it still is like Russian Roulette when I hit solo I could be essentially turning it off! Oddly enough when it does this it is a lot like the 3rd channel malfunction in the first Mark V the sound of the amp goes to thin clean very low volume. I have to simply push a channel button and it comes back online but alas the solo feature is not working.

It is the best sounding amp in the world as far as I am concerned and under warranty so I am not worried but those are 2 problems that don't make me happy with the money I spent. My other mesa's have been absolutely reliable and I will still trust the rig I have just not the solo feature till I find out what is wrong.

I've been using my V just about every day since last August. I haven't had any problems. 8)

nickyboy said:
It is the best sounding amp in the world as far as I am concerned and under warranty so I am not worried but those are 2 problems that don't make me happy with the money I spent. My other mesa's have been absolutely reliable and I will still trust the rig I have just not the solo feature till I find out what is wrong.

I hit your site. What amp are you using on your Second Chances slide lick? I like to hear someone stick a slide in and it fit well.

Unboxed and fired up my new head today - prior one had non-functional Graphic, FX Loop and Reverb in Ch2 only.
GC was very cool with the exchange, my new head was unopened NIB - as I wanted (as it should be with a $2,000 amplifier).
I'm amazed - I already knew it was an exceptional amp, but now hearing Ch2 with reverb, delay and EQ has made my day/week/month...
I'm running fairly high (6/10) reverb, a subtle delay in the loop, and the classic V in the EQ, and I swear, I'm getting tones in Ch2 that sound as "Marshally" as my actual Marshall head!
I'm a longtime Marshall (2553 Jubilee, JMP1/9100) and Boogie player (Triaxis, Studio Pre, 20/20), I can honestly say the MkV is the best sounding amplifier I've ever owned.
The rack gear is now gone, and I'll keep the Jubilee forever, but I'll play the MkV!

I'm having nearly the same problem as Nickyboy. When I hit the EQ button on the footswitch, the sound stops completely. When I hit the mute button on the footswitch, and then hit it again, the sound comes back. Very frustrating.

Latest posts

Back