Problems w/ Triaxis, GC Pro and expression pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stomplex

Reaction score
I just got the Ground Control Pro and have two Ernie Ball VP Jr. volume pedals connected to it. The GC Pro is replacing a previous generation Ground Control.

One of the differences between the new one and the old one is with the old one you put a cable from your volume pedal "out" jack into the GC but then you had to calibrate the VP.

The new GCP does not require that you calibrate the VP but instead requires a "send/return", "Y" cable in order to work properly.

This is all fine and dandy, I think, because when I go into setup mode and rock the VP back and forth I can see the numbers increment and decrement between 0-127. The GCP definitely "sees" the two VPs.

Furthermore, when I setup the continuous controller functions on the Triaxis, it responds to the VP modulation.

So here's the first problem: Somtimes one or more of the parameters on the Triaxis don't respond as they should when I step on the VP. They don't go to their assigned values. This seems to depend on how quickly I step on the VP.

The other problem: If I change to a patch on the Triaxis which has CC functions I get the patch at it's "base" value even if the VP is pushed all the way forward. I expect to get that patch with it's values corresponding to the current position of the VP.

All of this works perfectly with my old GC. The only thing different in the equation now is the new GC Pro so I hope I'm just being a knucklehead and missing some detail here.

Any help appreciated.

Same issue with me...

I use a GC Pro and have a Volume Pedal connected to it that is linked to the volume on my effects unit. If I change a program on the GC Pro while the volume is in the off position (pedal up) it does not read the volume as being off in the new program and I need to re-step on the volume pedal.

I guess this is a flaw with the GC Pro though I have not had it be an issue in a live setting yet.

As for why your TA is not reading CC messages right...I don't know.

I spoke with John over at Voodoo Labs. He says that the send/return "Y" cable setup on the new GC Pro enables it to detect the full range of any volume pedal and with much more granularity than the older GC.

It sounds like there might be an issue with the Triaxis CC software tracking the movement of the VP because of the higher granularity of the VP through the new GC Pro.

One thing that I've also noticed which seems to support this theory is when I step on the VP, the parameters don't start changing as immediately as they did before with the older GC - kind of like the "spongy brakes" effect when you're driving a car.

John says he's going to take some time to investigate the Triaxis CC software but that I should be prepared to deal with the possibility that this combo just won't "play nice" together.

I'm also going to see if I can get somebody from Mesa on the line to see what they have to say about it.

Lastly, perhaps there's another volume pedal out there which tracks differently, thus syncing up with the Triaxis CC software better than the Ernie Ball - too bad because I really like those Ernie Ball VP Jr.s.

Again, if anybody has any thoughts or experience on this, I'd like to hear about it.

Latest posts

Back