Problems w/ FX loop on Rectoverb.. HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW_Rectoverb

Reaction score
Whats up everyone... New member here in need of some help. I have a series 2 mesa rectoverb head which i have had for about 8 years. I recently fully retubed the amp and it has been playing and sounding great.. Prior to this, I also rewired the fx loop to be in series as i was having problems with FX hum in its stock parallel form. The last few days however, im getting a high pitch ring when engaging my reverb and or delay pedal through the fx loop. Ill click it on and after a few seconds the ring starts to swell and get louder and louder until it sounds like its overloading the pedal or something.. I have never had this problem before so I really don't know what to think. I also noticed that it seems to be ok if i don't turn the master volume up past about 10 o clock. But once past that the problem persists. I tried different cables, and moved the pedals to the front. Cables didn't change anything and moving the pedals to the front allowed me to turn it up as loud as i want w/o any swelling ring tone. The problem definitely seems to be isolated to the FX loop and some how linked to the master volumes.. Any info, suggestions and tips to fix this would be really appreciated.!

NW_Rectoverb said:
Whats up everyone... New member here in need of some help. I have a series 2 mesa rectoverb head which i have had for about 8 years. I recently fully retubed the amp and it has been playing and sounding great.. Prior to this, I also rewired the fx loop to be in series as i was having problems with FX hum in its stock parallel form. The last few days however, im getting a high pitch ring when engaging my reverb and or delay pedal through the fx loop. Ill click it on and after a few seconds the ring starts to swell and get louder and louder until it sounds like its overloading the pedal or something.. I have never had this problem before so I really don't know what to think. I also noticed that it seems to be ok if i don't turn the master volume up past about 10 o clock. But once past that the problem persists. I tried different cables, and moved the pedals to the front. Cables didn't change anything and moving the pedals to the front allowed me to turn it up as loud as i want w/o any swelling ring tone. The problem definitely seems to be isolated to the FX loop and some how linked to the master volumes.. Any info, suggestions and tips to fix this would be really appreciated.!
Welcome to the forum.

Is your FX Loop SEND at 12:00 noon?

As a quick test, put a good patch cable in the FX Loop, switch the FX Loop in and see if you can re-create the issue with only a cable in the loop. If not, chances are the amp is fine and you are possibly clipping the input of one of your pedals, which is what I believe is happening.

NW_Rectoverb said:
.......... I also noticed that it seems to be ok if i don't turn the master volume up past about 10 o clock ..........
The channel masters are ultimately your FX Loop send (the "SEND" control is after the channel masters) & 10:00-11:00 is a HOT signal, especially for a pedal.

If the problem persists with just a cable, change your FX Loop driver tube (V4).

HTH,
Dom

Sounds like channel masters are too high. Turn the channel masters down to avoid clipping the input on the pedal. Don't ask why Mesa designed it this way because I have no idea.

Unfortunately the Rectoverb does not have a Send or Return pot, only a mix pot (Dry/Wet ratio).

If you think the amp is too low volume-wise (because the channel masters are low) place an EQ last in the chain and boost the Output level up, plus use it to change the final tone.

thanks for the info guys... Im guessing that I am in fact overloading the pedals.. I was relying on the master knobs to control my volume as oppose to the output knob. I didn't really think about the master knobs being the "input" volume to my fx loop chain. Ill start to keep both the master knobs for both channels around 9 and use my output knob to get the desired volume i want.

As for the FX loops dry / wet amount.. This is now bypassed on the amp since wiring it in series. I rely on the amount of FX from the pedal itself, not the dry / wet amount knob on the back.

Back