problem with distortion on triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecervantes

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand triaxis and i am just exploring it, but right on i can say there is something wrong with the distortion. It sounds all buzzy and floffy like someone is farthing. Sorry for the language but it is just like how it sounds. can anyone help? Much appreciate it!

ecervantes said:
I just bought a second hand triaxis and i am just exploring it, but right on i can say there is something wrong with the distortion. It sounds all buzzy and floffy like someone is farthing. Sorry for the language but it is just like how it sounds. can anyone help? Much appreciate it!
For starters, you may as well just replace all the tubes and save a whole lot of speculating. Then go from there. With a second hand unit with unknown history, the tubes could be in any condition - good being the least likely. Also, try switching the position of a few tubes and see if anything changes - that would confirm that you should get a fresh set in there.

This is a very Complex piece of Equipment and the first thing you should do is go online, find and download a copy of the owners manual. The key to getting great tones out of it is how you set the gain and drive controls. In general Keeping them both to about the same value will deliver the best tones for most of the modes. Placing one even slightly off the other one either up or down will produce either progressively darker/smoother (better) or more fizzy/brittle sounds ( humbuckers start to quack like out of phase strat single coils) . The manual I have explains their thinking on each of the modes and how best to utilize them. This preamp isn't no one trick pony and can produce some real bad sounds as well as tonal heaven .The manual is the best place to start. With that in hand, with advice in taken to heart and if you still aren't getting what your after You can start looking for other causes Like preamp tubes . You don't state what power amp your running it though or what speakers your using, What is the rest of your signal chain is, or for that mater what guitar your using, what kind of pickups are in it. all could be contributing factors, hard to tell with out knowing all the info, one guy on here after looking for something wrong with the unit found he had a bad cable connecting it to his amp, so you see........it could be just about anything.

BTW.... Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure your gonna love it .

Thanks for your advice. I already got the manual an now i am reading it. I will read every word carefully just to learn how to get as much as possible out of my Triaxis. I have a Simul 2:90 and TC Electronics G Force. I use the best cables I could find here in Cancun Mexico but at this point I fell short to buy a Mesa cabinet. I have a made in Vietnam 4x12 Marshall mg series cabinet, which I am afraid is far from being a match to the other pieces of equipment. I have an American made standard Fender stratocaster with regular factory pick ups. I am about to replace those pick ups with a set of Seymour Duncan everything axe just to try to get more of that guitar by eliminating the hum in certain positions. So far my guitar has been almost exclusively a two position instrument and that has limited me to be able to find some bluesy tones that i am looking for. I am planning to buy a guitar with a set of humbuckers, very possibly a Les Paul or a Music Man.

What i will do now is buy new tubes for the Triaxis just to make sure they are all right and also buy a cabinet as soon as I save the money for the cabinet itself and the shipping. I have some questions, though. Would you prefer the spax7-a tubes over the 12ax7's if you wanted to get from lightly overdriven to heavy sounds? I play mostly blues and rock but i would still like the flexibility to be able to dial clean pop, reagge or funk sounds. The other question is which cabinet do you think would best suit my needs? I really appreciate all your comments

Latest posts

Back