Problem With DC 5 Combo Amp (Have tried MANY things)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiplash7x

Reaction score
So i have a Ibanez S7420, which is a 7 String guitar. A little after I bought it i put an Evolution 7 pickup in the bridge. This guitar has a 5 way switch, and the pick up supports that. I had it put in professionally, because I couldnt find any clear directions on how to put this pickup in a guitar with similar wiring. Now for my problem.

The pickup has been working great for a while, over a year now, but now suddenly there is a problem, and it happens randomly. Every once in a while the Evolution pickup in the down position, which is basically the normal position not the emulated single coil position, will loose a lot of volume and become kind of distorted. It is pretty random, because It will do this in the middle of me playing. Actually, putting the amp of standby and strumming while it is fading seems to work some of the time to get it to come right back.

First off the EVO pickup has a lower output, and is distorted like i said. Kind of crackely, grainy, cardboardy. If you know what I mean. When I put it in the coil tapped position (If 5 was just the EVO, then this would be 4) THe output comes back but there is a buzz in the background. The other selections seem to be fine, but I cant be sure actually, as I use the EVO the most, so I know it the best. When in the lead channel, the distortion is way lower than it should be. Usually the EVO just ROARS at 6 or 7, but when this problem arises it is pretty weak.

I didnt think it was the amp, but I replaced ALL the tubes in it, because I was so fed up with it acting this way. But that didn't help either. So I took the guitar to a tech, who really knew his ****, and was a really nice guy. He Re did all the saudering on it, and cleaned up the wiring a bit. Still does it.

My cable is a brand new Monster cable, so it is not that.

Today It happened to I started to mess with everything. I shook the guitar, to see if something was loose, and it didnt work. I switched cables, and it didnt work. I took out the foot switch, and that didnt work. What does work, but certainly not always, is flipping to standby and playing as it fades out, and then turning standby off.

My signal flow, Guitar -> Mesa Boogie DC 5 amp input ->Effects Out (100% wet) ->TC Electronics G major Mono In -> TCEGM Mono Out-> Mesa Boogie Effects Return

Any help would be appreciated!!!

I would just play through it straight-no effects,etc...guitar-cord-amp..then play another guitar through it as well(borrow one if you only have one) this will help eliminate guitar for sure if another guitar reacts in the same manner-just good ol'troubleshooting...add stuff until you find the culprit

I think when it occurs you can try to turn the Fx Mix pot off.
It sounds like "no-loading".

If you don't put any fx in the fx loop , make sure the fx mix pot is off.
Or the tone will become terrible randomly...

Latest posts

Back