problem metal-setting 2-channel dual rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erratig

Reaction score
hey!

on this weekend i play at the first time a mesa boogie dual rectifier (2-channel version). since i will have no time to test the amp before the show, it has to go quick, once I enter the stage. that's why I wanted to ask a few questions to you for a good metal/thrash metal setting. I have no problem concerning treble/mid/bass/presence/gain/... settings, but:

a.) how do you turn on the distorted/loop channel - on the front or on the backside?
b.) do I need an overdrive pedal in order to create a good metal distortion - just as with the JCM?
c.) on the following setting possibilities on the backside/rear of the amp - what should I choose in order for a good metal tone?

- 'Set to Orange' or 'Red Channel Select'?

- Orange Channel Gain: 'Variable High Gain' 'Middle botton' or 'clean'? well I guess high gain in this case

- Channel Style Select: 'Orig. to Modern', 'Normal' or 'Red to Vintage'?

Would be great if you could help me!

cheers

What kind of metal? Old school Iron Maiden, or new school "djent"? What tunings? Scooped death metal is probably a no go, without an EQ in the loop, or preamp style pedal into the FX return or clean channel.

If you play old school and tune to E or D standard, you could probably get away with no OD/boost for rythm work, boost for leads. If you drop tune to C or lower, I recommend a mid focused overdrive like a TS9 or SD1, with gain at zero, and level at 1:00 or higher, tone to taste.

If you want "djent" tones, you want the OD out front on the red channel, with mids about 3:00, bass at 9:00, highs at 9-11:00 (changes based on OD/pick ups), red presence at 11:00, orange presence at 1:00 (both effect the red channel). That should give you a base to work with.

For old school, just keep everthing at noon on the orange channel (or cloned orange to red if need cleans), and add gain to taste.

You need the FTSW to change channels, or the toggle switch on the back right behind the input.

Of course, the tone can change drastically with pickups, play style (really dig in to saturate), speakers, cabinet, age of tubes, type of tubes, spongy/bold, tube/silicon rectification, etc...

You really need a few minutes to dial in something on a rectifier, or any Mesa for that matter, they are highly versatile.

erratig said:
hey!

on this weekend i play at the first time a mesa boogie dual rectifier (2-channel version). since i will have no time to test the amp before the show, it has to go quick, once I enter the stage. that's why I wanted to ask a few questions to you for a good metal/thrash metal setting. I have no problem concerning treble/mid/bass/presence/gain/... settings, but:

a.) how do you turn on the distorted/loop channel - on the front or on the backside?
b.) do I need an overdrive pedal in order to create a good metal distortion - just as with the JCM?
c.) on the following setting possibilities on the backside/rear of the amp - what should I choose in order for a good metal tone?

- 'Set to Orange' or 'Red Channel Select'?

- Orange Channel Gain: 'Variable High Gain' 'Middle botton' or 'clean'? well I guess high gain in this case

- Channel Style Select: 'Orig. to Modern', 'Normal' or 'Red to Vintage'?

Would be great if you could help me!

cheers

--For Heavy Metal, select Red Channel set to Normal. You do not want to put the Red to Vintage, or you will get a weaker tone. The Orange channel set to Vinage or to clean, depending if you need clean or if you need a moderate gain as your second option tone. Then as mentioned, either use a footswitch or select the channel via the backside knob. You do not need an additional pedal, the Mesa has plenty of gain at lower volumes.

Vintage for a more fluffy, deep distortion. Modern for aggressive, razor sharp distortion. If you have EMG pups, you might not need an OD (especially 18v mod EMG). I'm not going to say one is better than the other, since both have great uses.

When I want a "Justice" tone, it's Modern. "Puppets" is Vintage with an OD. Load/Reload is Vintage without the OD. Slayer is like Modern with the mid all the way up. MegaDave from 90s is Vintage with bass turned down a bit, mids just shy of Noon, and treble up a bit.

For what it's worth, Kirk Hammet's settings for his Racto are online. He always has an OD on and uses Vintage. His sound is warmer and a bit less focused than Hetfield on the 60 or so live shows I have.

An amalgamation I use, that works well for a lot of metal, is Modern, bass and treble up a touch; Mid just shy of Noon; Gain and Presence to taste. Moderate gain settings cut through better (Noon to 1:30) and keep the sound from mushing into oatmeal or being too fizzed. Firm, kung fu grip, attack and good use of palm muting will make a moderately distorted sound really heavy.

Latest posts

Back