Pristine Clean Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutoman

Reaction score
I'm probably coming from the opposite end of the spectrum than many here...my question is:

Is there a Mesa amp that can play LOUD without breaking up, yet still have awesome gain as well? (I don't need nu-metal distortion).

I currently have a .50 Caliber+, and it is ALMOST able to be at the volume I need at times and still be clean. (I am not in love with the LEAD channel sound on the .50 for my needs).

I just demo'd an F-50. It sounded killer, but still had too much distortion/gain at a higher volume. (I need to be able to play absolutely clean live at outdoor gigs at a pretty good stage volume).

I know that I can get a Fender Twin and use a stomp box for gain, but I would prefer not to go there.

My Road King Combo gives me plenty of clean power. I have used several combinations on the #1 channel: clean voicing with 4 6L6s...clean voicing with 2 EL34s AND 2 6L6s....and clean voicing with 4 6L6s AND 2 EL34s.

All these sounds worked fine with no breakup...even with my Les Paul.

RB

Maybe try a F-100. The main benefit of more wattage is more clean head room - depending on the amp.

Cool.....I'll have to keep my eyes open. Do the gain channels on the 100 watt F series or Road King have nice, smooth natural gain at lower to reasonable volumes as well? Or do they sound sort of artificial unless you open them up? Do you know what I mean? Thanks guys.

Wow...I just looked up the Road King in the Boogie website. It seems like it does it all....ouch on the price, but if it does all of that it is probably worth it.

sutoman,

You might also want to check out the Lonestar Classic. 100 watts of silicon diode rectified clean on channel 1 combined with 50 watts of tube rectified gain on channel 2. Pretty cool.

chedgeco... 8)

Without a attenuator/hot plate your not going to get low volume distortion and really loud clean. The high wattage is what allows the clean head room but you suffer with no low volume gain - you gotta crank the power amp to get that really sweet distortion.

Trade offs are what it all about.

Ned

ned said:
Without a attenuator/hot plate your not going to get low volume distortion and really loud clean. The high wattage is what allows the clean head room but you suffer with no low volume gain - you gotta crank the power amp to get that really sweet distortion.

Trade offs are what it all about.

Ned
I think all Mesas should come with a HotPlate. If you're not playing arenas or large clubs, the amps have more volume than you can use.

But that's why we buy them, isn't it? :lol:

Definitely, an F series. The 50 or 100 should do what you want. Maybe even the Lonestar.

cvansickle said:
the amps have more volume than you can use.

But that's why we buy them, isn't it? :lol:

+1 !!!!!!! Like a blown, nitroused big-block in your work truck...probably overkill but **** it's fun!

Seriously, though...something else to look at is the speakers. V30's break up very easily at high vol's. Maybe look at something with higher power handling...custom 90's, or EVM12's (good luck finding those but they're great)

sutoman said:
I'm probably coming from the opposite end of the spectrum than many here...my question is:

Is there a Mesa amp that can play LOUD without breaking up, yet still have awesome gain as well? (I don't need nu-metal distortion).

I currently have a .50 Caliber+, and it is ALMOST able to be at the volume I need at times and still be clean. (I am not in love with the LEAD channel sound on the .50 for my needs).

I just demo'd an F-50. It sounded killer, but still had too much distortion/gain at a higher volume. (I need to be able to play absolutely clean live at outdoor gigs at a pretty good stage volume).

I know that I can get a Fender Twin and use a stomp box for gain, but I would prefer not to go there.

A simple change of preamp tubes might be all it needs. You might substitute a 5751 or 12AY7 in the V1 socket.

I have a 50 Cal+, I never liked it's distortion channel. Seems very different than my Mark IV, IIC+ and DC3.

I agree with Chester...I think I need more than 50w for outdoors! I played a lonestar today for the first time. I had to mess around with it...at first I was playing a Les Paul that wouldn't stay in tune. I had to flick around some switches, and switched guitars. I picked up a '52 reissue tele (I have one of these), switched the power switch out of "tweed" mode, flipped the reverb switch in the back.....and "voila"....I had the pristine clean tube tone I was looking for. Punchy, glassy, crisp, and loud. I adjusted channel #2 to a more overdriven sound....and it sounded great. So I think the lonestar is the answer....

if the clean sound is absolutely the most important thing to you, Lonestar all the way.

But Id also look at the F100, its a real sleeper. The cleans are seriously amazing with PLENTY of headroom. I even managed to pull off some beautiful cleans with EMG81s, which to me is shocking.

The lead channel also covers a lot of ground, definitely a lot more than a Lonestar anyway, but its not a very fair comparison.

The following tips regarding clean tone (especially on Mesa amps) may be of interest to you (thanks to the Road King manual for several of these tips):

1) Lower gain (9:00-11:30) will lend a more 3D feel to your tone.
2) Higher presence will help give your clean tone a shimmering sparkle.
3) It is popular (but certainly not necessary) to have a fairly radical scoop in the mids for a clean sound.
4) Try running the amp in Spongy mode for a more elastic feel.
5) Using diode rectification versus tube rectification will give you miles more headroom (at the expense of an "elastic" feel, in my opinion).
6) Higher treble settings will give you a more ear-peircing/glassy/bell-like tone.
7) Use an open back cabinet for your clean sounds.
8) Running a clean sound at very high volumes may result in a muddy tone or distorted break-up. To overcome this, try lowering the bass.

As an example, I get an immaculate clean sound using my EBMM John Petrucci and my Road King with the following settings (it rivals the Lone Star):

Channel 1/Tweed/Spongy/2x6L6/Tube Rectification/Open Back Cabinet/Gain: 10:00/Presence: 2:30/Mid: 9:00-11:30/ Treble: 10:00-2:00/ Bass: 10:00-2:00

You may need to use diode rectification and at least 4 power tubes (instead of two) to give enough headroom for super high volumes. Finally, if your guitar has a piezo pickup that can be mixed with its electromagnetic pickups (like the JP EBMM), that will pay dividends for your clean sound!

sutoman said:
I am in the East Bay as well....who has f100's in stock for me to check out?

RUN TO GUITAR CENTER IN EL CERRITO!

They had an F-100 head for 799 NEW!
Yes, NEW! They are clearing them out so..

Matter of fact, in the east bay Guitar Centers are the ONLY Mesa dealers.

799 for an f-100?! ****.... my tax return should be here anytime now :twisted: but alas, im not big on the f series.... *cough* dc-10?

dylan7620 said:
799 for an f-100?! ****.... my tax return should be here anytime now :twisted: but alas, im not big on the f series.... *cough* dc-10?

Yeah its similar to the DC-10, no graphic EQ on it though. Still INCREDIBLY versatile. Very very underated amp IMO, but thats a different story.

GC also had Rectoverb heads for 799 (which looked really funny sitting next to a normal single recto selling at regular price.) Also the almighty Roadking was knocked down in price, by only 100 dollars I think, along with the 3/4 back cabs. I dont know if they have any of this left, but talk about a serious deal for the F-100 and ROV! My buddy in the navy almost bought the ROV right there and then, even though he has no use for it all (not for 2 more years anyway).

Latest posts

Back