presence setting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barny

Reaction score
iv just been looking through the settings page and a lot of them have the presence fairly low...i have mine between 8 and 9..its for live use with a band ..do these seem to high..?..ihave it fairly high to cut in the mix, but maybe it deafening people in the audience..lol...how does everybody set theres..in a live situation..?

What amp do you mean? On my Mark III I run it low because it's such a bright amp, but on most other amps I tend to run it high.

sorry its mk 4...still i think ill try turning it down a touch..we play fairly loud..thanks..:)

I play skatepunk (Pennywise like) and use a Mark IV head through a rectifier slant with the presence (pushed in) at 8.
It tightens it up and it cuts better. No need to turn it down if it works for you. I do turn the treble sliders down a bit though (2200 and 6600 both on the underside of the middle stripe). You can turn the gain down a bit too (gain pulled: 7, drive pushed: 5, treble: 8).

For lower volume roots clean I'll use up to 7. But 90% of the time I'm after a warm edge-of-overdrive or into overdrive. Here I found any presence at all adds a nasty bite on top of the sweeter compressed, driven tone. So it stays at 0 most of the time. Of course I don't play in your band, you do! Go with what sounds right. But you might try lowering just to hear it.

The manual settings are to help give you a feel for the amp's possibilities. I think most of them are meant to sound good when used in a store or when you get it home from the store, and not neccissarily when you're in a band situation.

In short, put the knob wherever it sounds good. If you're concerned about your audience, try talking to them and ask them how you sound. Or, get a buddy to stand in with your axe during a sound check and stand out front for a minute or two.

Holy crap 8-9 is higher than Ace Ventura on crack. Whatever works for you though. What kind of cab and speakers? I had mine on 2-3 when I used v30s, and now it's on 5 with my cluster cab with v30, 75, cl80, & k100.

Wow, I imagine the laser beam shooting straight out to table #4 is deadly with such high presence.

... Unless you installed a Mitchell donut!!!! :)

my mark iv's presence knob is not really as responsive as the other knobs especially when pushed, i can barely hear the difference not unless i compare the setting 0 and 9 or something.. is mine broken?

Depends on what kind of sound I am going for and what guitar and cab I am using. Most of the time I use the IV with it pushed in and set between 3 ~6. I also recommend trying it lower. You may need to change the other controls to balance the sound.

I recommend the Mitchell Donuts to everyone. It is a great improvement in sound control.

my main settings - rhythm 1: 2.5 rhythm 2: 1.5 lead: 0.5

..ive posted vids here and on other forums with my bfr / mark IV..get lots of compliments on my tone..

do what sounds good man..if the presence is high and your treble is lower, it could turn into something you like..and the GEQ allows for a final touch on your tone if you choose to use it..

petrucci has his rhythm 2 set really high on both, and lead channel a little high for my tastes/gear i have access to..but i love his tone so who knows right?

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/gear/TopMK4Settings.jpg
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/gear/BottomMK4Settings.jpg

Latest posts

Back