Preamp tubes to choose from-- 12__7 in my 'new' amp...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach1andy

Reaction score
Got my Boogie back from the hollywood shop yesterday. They said two things about my "studio series" amp. (I guess it was just before they started calling them .22's)

1. The tubes guard that holds up the tubes (both power and preamp) are missing.

2. Some people put different kinds of tubes in the different preamp sockets.

I currently put 2 Groove Tube 12AX7 Gold Series in V1 and V2 (they were microphonic when I got em). Should I stick with 'em or should I try something else out. I know some people have preferences for each socket and then the phase inverter etc. I do have 2 JJ.Tesla El84's in my closet that are new. The tubes in there could be old/some of the 12ax7's are generic General Electric and mesa etc...

As for the tube guard. Has anyone ever fashioned one out of common materials or have a replacement out there? I gig regularly so I'm sure sooner or late I'm going to have problems if I don't get this fixed!

This is my 1st boogie so I'm really into giving it all of the best. I got a great deal on the amp and really like it so far. Your help is greatly appriciated!

-Andy
www.andyalt.com

yeah. I can see the metal base and I can see where it would clip in. I'm thinking about taking a trip to home depot with the amp to see if I can figure something out. Those guys are pretty clever but I'd rather hear someone who's done it and it works.

I was thinking of getting a metal guard and lining it with some foam so its not glass-to-metal. Will the foam catch fire or melt or affect the tubes in any way? How are the stock holders and what materials are they?

Thanks again-- like I said, it's my 1st boogie after having Riveras, Mashalls, Fenders, Carvins, etc. I really like the amp and am trying to gear it up for road worthy situations-- even as a practice amp backstage.

-Andy
www.andyalt.com

Foam will melt. Just leave it alone until you can buy a tube sheild.
The sheild twists on the base and there is a spring inside it to keep the tube tight in the socket.

You can get them from Mesa or www.tubesandmore.com or www.ampwares.com .

socket_tube_shield.jpg

Aluminum !!!

Mach1andy said:
I was thinking of getting a metal guard and lining it with some foam so its not glass-to-metal. Will the foam catch fire or melt or affect the tubes in any way?

This is actually how it is done on the preamp tubes of my DC3 (6 12ax7), but the EL84s have metal clip thingies. If you do the foam thing I'm sure you have to get something that doesn't catch fire! I'm thinking this foam construction might be one of several causes making the DC3 a very hot amp, though. Even though the preamp tubes don't produce that much heat by themselves.

I am surprised that your GT's were microphonic. I just swapped V1 and V2 for some GT"s I have mesa 12ax7's in the other slots, mesa 6l6's in the middle power slots and GT el34's in the outer slots. My MkIV sounds pretty freakin amazing. Preamp tubes are relativly cheap so maybe pickup a couple of different ones and try them out. The power tubes thing is a little touchier since there is no bias adjustment on the boogies. You can try new mesa tubes and somewhere around here there is a GT to Mesa chart that breaks down how GT's ratings relate to Mesas.

Scott

Latest posts

Back