Preamp tube swapping

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapparal

Reaction score
I am experimenting with changing various preamp 12ax7 tubes around in my Mesa DC5 combo.....................since there are 6 (V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6)of them (instead of the classic 4) i would like to know which is the exact function of each of them so as to know what i am doing. As a start i think the v4 is the reverb one????

Check your private messages or click the email link below. I can email you the layout and schematic. Actually V5 is the reverb tube.

Hi Guys,
I have been trying different tubes as well.
So far I have used most of the varients of Groove tubes, JJ and EH,
So far I like the GT Ecc83 the 12ax7C and the JJ.
I think the JJ and the GT are almost the same. I have only tried in the first position V1, that tube seems to have the most impact on the tone.
Hope this helps.

I tried the EH tubes, they where to bright for my taste. Right now I have Mullards Ecc83's in V1 and V2, Philips Mini Watts Ecc83's in V3 and V4 and a Mullard Ecc83 in the phase inverter. Jan Philips 7581A power tubes. This is in a Mark IIB and it really has a great clean tone, and vintage tone, it can get down and dirty but I like the music tones, not the brown sound. So it's just the way I like it :lol:

Latest posts

Back