preamp tube problems in express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musician18

Reaction score
I have had this amp for a little over a month now and I am already having problems with the tubes. I am playing single note lines and I hear a metallic ringing sustain to every note. I thought it was the cabinet rattling at first, but I pulled the tubes out and listened to one at a time in my ear, and two of them had a rattling issue. Is there something wrong with my amp or do I need some different tubes instead of crappy mesas?

I love the amp, I am just not sure that mesa tubes are anything special. I shouldn't be having problems with tubes in a 1 month old amp.

Call Mesa Boogie. I am pretty sure you have a 6 month warranty on those new tubes. In fact, you should be able to stop by where you purchased the amp and replace those bad tubes.

TW

Not sure if rattling( when the tube is out of socket and in hand) is indication of failure. Any tube can go bad at anytime regardless of brand.Mesa will send ya ones out without hesitation and help with your problem. Are they preamp tubes or power tubes? Also check that nothins loose( tube cans, power tube clamps and tubes are seated snug).I feel your pain bro I've been through all kinds of tube noise troubleshooting over the years and with each issue I get better at the fix :lol: Good luck and keep us posted.

Might be worth checking that the pre amp valves are actually glowing.
I had problems with an Express where eventually, two of these did not work.
It wasn't the valves (as I tried replacing them) but the actual supply to them.
Never did get it sorted and ended up returning the amp

I had preamp tube issues with an F-50 I picked up last year. They sent me replacements that did exactly what you are describing - metallic rattling when I played, and when I pulled them out, I could actually hear them rattling in my hand. Those are duds. Call and get new - or go to a Mesa authorized dealer and have them replace them for you (this worked for me). That way you can look at them and give them a shake while you're there. If you get them t hrough the mail, there's no telling what kind of abise they may have suffered through UPS's horrendous treatment of packages.

Well, after reading a lot of bad stuff about the reliability of mesa tubes, I decided to try an experiment. I retubed my amp with sovtek power tubes and groove tube 12ax7-r's and what a difference it made. The noise level went down and the initial problem is gone. I think the tone sounds alot better. So I guess the mesa tubes aren't for me.

Latest posts

Back