Pre-amp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardweller

Reaction score
How often should one replace pre-amp tubes?
Is it relative to the number of replacements of power amp tubes (1 pre amp tube change for every 2 power amp tube changes?)???

Should you always change out the pre amp tubes when changing the power-tubes?

Is there any rule of thumb?

Say hey Ryan,
As far as I can figure, you only change the pre-amp tubes if'n'when there's a problem with tone or function (i.e. microphonics) It's the power tubes that take the beatin'. The more you play, the more you pay :wink:
BillA

It really depends on how much you play. Preamp tubes last much longer than power tubes, if there's no special problems with them. If you play about 8 hours a week for example, you could change them every 2 or 3 or more years i think. Always if there aren't problems in the meanwhile. You surely will hear tone differences between new and old preamp tubes, but i think the main signs for a preamp tube going bad will be the raising of microphonics and noise.

Hey there Bill!
And thanks for the replies Bill/ytse.

I'm thinking about mixing it up/trying some new power tubes soon, and wondered if I needed to do a complete retube....

Thanks again guys.

I've got Amperex Bugle Boy's in my Gemini II's since the '60's,still work fine.And the amps were well used,one of them had a bass speaker and was used by my bass player for a good 6-7 years.I gigged with the other for years and both my sons use them fairly often still.Good preamp tubes can go a long time.

Those old Amperex tubes were rated at like 10,000 hours though unlike today's selections.

For preamp tubes here's the rule of thumb:

If it aint broke don't fix it...

Ok, now that we got that out, it is a good idea to keep at least one preamp tube handy incase you need one because one decides to fail.

There is no set life expectancy for any tube, though the old stuff tended to last longer by this I mean the vintage tubes back when there was good quality steel, QA and vacuum processes. For some reason, I am thinking the lack of tube use in military and medical applications as well as massive commercial and private use, tube quality has fallen off in production. The once good manufacturers gave up and sold their machinery to up and comers. Unfortunately, being that there is less demand globally because of modernization of archaic technologies, there is less demand. Without the demand, there is not as much reason for the tube manufacturers to make as good of a product as once there was. A lot of the old machinery needs to be retooled and just plain replaced. It is hard to make a diamond first out of crap then also on crap machinery.

The real thing to look at when maintaining your tube amp is how hard you push it. If you are a gain freak and use a high gain amp like most of us here have then chances are you are going to be buying more preamp tubes than someone using something that doesn't abuse the little guys, ie. your uncle's old Bandmaster that he plays traditional folk music on. If you are performing regularly (3-4+ shows a week) and getting paid for it, I would suggest that you replace your current production preamp tubes at least every other month just to be sure that you have no surprizes. Sounds like a lot but if you are performing that often chances are you have some kind of endorsement or at least are making enough from your playing to do it. Microphonics can show up at any time and rigors of a tough schedule can beat up your tubes. Friends of mine that work with larger acts say that they do a full retube once a month whether they need it or not just as preventive maintenance and to ensure that the tone is always the same for every show. For someone that just plays at home you can get away with just replacing them as they go bad. If you are gigging, then just be prepared with spares as necessary. Again as was stated above, your power tubes take the hardest beating. Be prepared to replace them faster than preamp tubes.

Latest posts

Back